Portable computing - where to put programs

-Chris-

Honorable
May 6, 2012
Hi all, I travel around quite a lot in business and need to have all my data available when I get to the various locations (computers / laptops with various OS's are already in the locations). I have a wd passport hd which I would like to use somehow, so I assume that I would need to install all relevant programs onto it, like Outlook - the only problem is, is that when installing programs like that, they always insist on installing to the c drive? What's the best solution please?

Solution
Get a small laptop or a tablet. The main issue is that you can't run programs like Outlook and such from a portable drive. Get a Windows-based tablet with a keyboard if all you're looking to use are Microsoft applications.

That's only good for specific applications, Outlook is not one of those. You can't run Office off a portable drive, many of the files are stored in the user directory.

If you want to have your files follow you, use a network based application like Google Docs, web-based email, etc... Or cary a laptop or tablet.

Asus_USA

Honorable
May 1, 2013
Get a small laptop or a tablet. The main issue is that you can't run programs like Outlook and such from a portable drive. Get a Windows-based tablet with a keyboard if all you're looking to use are Microsoft applications.

Solution