Possible to replace the power button with a mechanical switch?

BingoFishy

Estimable
Sep 24, 2015
I'm not quite sure if I plan to do this yet, but I think it would be pretty cool if you could use a mechanical switch as a power button for a desktop. I'm wondering if it's possible to solder the leads on the bottom of a switch and the motherboard connectors together to act as a power button. And, if you can, I'm wondering if you can buy LED mechanical switches. To prevent accidental presses, you could use a high resistance switch like a cherry MX green, and you could recess it in the case. What do you guys think, do you think it would be an interesting idea? I'm going to make this a discussion, since I think it's more of an idea rather than "Help!"

BadActor

Estimable
Herald
It's certainly possible, All the switch does is complete the circuit. You could also use something cool like a touch sensitive switch or photoptic sensor. I've thought about those but never tried.

BingoFishy

Estimable
Sep 24, 2015

What's a photoptic sensor? A touch sensor would be cool, but then I'd feel like my PC was a refridgerator/freezer (a lot of them have touch sensitive buttons for choosing ice, water, etc.)

BadActor

Estimable
Herald
A photo optic sensor senses light. You could have your PC power on when you turned a desk light on or wave your hand over the sensor to block light for a second to power the PC on. Depends on how you would have it wired. A touch sensor would be like that on some lamps, where anywhere you touch the lamp will make it come on. You could do the same thing with your PC case as long as it's not all plastic.

What do you think a power button is? They are all just mechanical switches. Only thing to remember is that the motherboard signals require a short short for on/sleep, and any short longer than a few seconds will force it off. Don't use toggle switches or others that don't open after pressing. If you want to use and old fashion knife switch or something, you'll need to put something like an arduino (easiest, but most expensive) or custom circuit to make it work.

BingoFishy

Estimable
Sep 24, 2015

Well, I meant a mechanical keyboard switch.

BingoFishy

Estimable
Sep 24, 2015

Ehh. But it I put my chair in front of it on accident, wouldn't that turn off the computer (+other complications). I could disable the power button, but still, for an extended (a few seconds) about of time would force shut down the PC.

A switch is a switch. Keyboard switches though make great power buttons though, even better if you get one of the LED mechanical switches ;)

BingoFishy

Estimable
Sep 24, 2015

Where could you buy an LED keyboard switch? I see wasdkeyboards doesn't carry them.

BingoFishy

Estimable
Sep 24, 2015

Don't see a light