Power Button Is Lit While Plugged, But Laptop Does Not Power Up

Feb 24, 2018
My HP 840 Eitebook will not power up. However when the Cord is plugged into the laptop, the power button stays lit up.

I have tried removing the battery, pushing the power button for 30 seconds, and trying to power up, but I am unsuccessful after that process.

Thoughts or suggestions?

hang-the-9

Titan
Open the system, remove the CMOS battery (it may be soldered on though, if it is, check for a jumper or switch to reset the BIOS on the motherboard, without any power to the system hold in the power button or 30 seconds. With the CMOS and main battery removed, plug in wall power only, see if that helps. If it does, plug in the rest, try it again. If it still fails, you either have a bad motherboard, power charger board if it's separate or a bad charger.

hang-the-9

Titan
Open the system, remove the CMOS battery (it may be soldered on though, if it is, check for a jumper or switch to reset the BIOS on the motherboard, without any power to the system hold in the power button or 30 seconds. With the CMOS and main battery removed, plug in wall power only, see if that helps. If it does, plug in the rest, try it again. If it still fails, you either have a bad motherboard, power charger board if it's separate or a bad charger.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
lexahrro Laptop Tech Support 1
R Laptop Tech Support 0
antopj Laptop Tech Support 2
Sérgio Ferreira Laptop Tech Support 0
Haika Laptop Tech Support 3
M Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 0
C Laptop Tech Support 2
URAIBLAKHANI Laptop Tech Support 0
R Laptop Tech Support 4
S Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 2
L Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 1
K Laptop Tech Support 4
E Laptop Tech Support 2
S Laptop Tech Support 1
K Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 1
U Laptop Tech Support 5
Similar threads
Question Toshiba SATELLITE C-50-B won't start (Power Button LED lights up for 5 seconds and turns off, no fan spinning)
Question HP Elitebook 840 G5 won't boot unless batteries are disconnected and power button held for 1 min
Question Is it possible to replace Vaio laptop PSB with a simple push button switch as power button?
Question Laptop MSI powers on with black screen, power button blinking, starts after 5m like this
Question Laptop has a hard time starting up (need to press power button multiple times)
Question LENOVO Ideapad 320: Power button light and fan turn on, display won’t display anything.
Question HP Envy X360 aq0 power button not working when in situe, any solutions?
Question ASUS laptop won’t turn on, power button and caps lock glow
Question Dell latitude power button blinking laptop not turning on
Question Msi ge70 laptop dont turn on. Only blue power button light
dont have orange light after disconnecting and 30 sec on power button and then putting battery in and plug in ac cord
My Lenovo Thinkpad wont turn on when I press the power button and when I plug it in to charge the red dot above the i flashes
Acer computer....won't turn on plugged in or on battery. Blue light on power button and light bulb icon on front blink 5 times
ASUS Q301L Notebook PC won't turn on, power button won't work, and light won't come on when plugged into charger.
hi... i tried removing the battery and long press the power button for a minute and then plugged in the charger with out the b
Acer computer....won't turn on plugged in or on battery. Blue light on power button and light bulb icon on front blink 5 times
acer apire 5552 power button blinks charger plugged
hellow i got the same problem and i remove the battery and press the power button for 60 seconds and plug in the battery but s
how to make a usb cable with button that you plug into your laptop and then it powers on the the laptop when you press it
ACER 5742G power button blinks when charger is plugged in

ASK THE COMMUNITY