PowerDVD demo won't play dvd's properly

ai8den

Estimable
Dec 18, 2015
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the PowerDVD 15 demo. When I insert a dvd the previews leading up to the menu appear to be in slow motion with no audio but once the menu appears audio returns. I click on 'play' and it returns to the slow motion that plagued the previews. When I close the program it encourages me to purchase the full version with "Enjoy a smoother, richer visual and acoustic experience for movies and videos by upgrading to the full version of PowerDVD." Is the slow down an intentional feature of the demo or might I have a problem with my hardware?

Whe I try a Blu-Ray I have mixed results. When I tried "Avatar" and "Man of Steel" the program told me the disc is "corrupted". "The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies" and "Godzilla" worked perfectly. All of this was done offline. When I plugged back in and tried "Man of Steel"(thinking that maybe the program had to download permission to play it?) at first it refused to play but I pressed the 'Play' key again...and it worked. The same for "Avatar".

Though it seems to work for Blu-Rays but dvd's are still a no-go. Oh, and all movies were retail releases, not copies.

I'm hoping people can tell me if this is no longer an issue with the full version.

I have Windows 10 with the LG Black 16X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 12X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA Blu-ray Burner WH16NS40 The rest of the build can be found here: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/N3gQpg

To provide full disclosure, I do not have any experience with PowerDVD 15 per se.

However, if a manufacturer is not clearly up front about any limitations or restrictions on a demo I do not trust the "real" product without some good reasons to do so.

You might try visiting their website (FAQ, Forums, Troubleshooting, Install Guides) to see if anyone is complaining or asking about similar problems with either the demo or full version.

If you note or otherwise sense any evasiveness, problem denial, double talk, over-simplistic answers/solutions, etc., then you probably will not want to purchase the full version.