Powered Speaker Actual Watts Used Question

LWFG001

Prominent
Apr 12, 2017
I'm hooking up a couple of project studio 8 monitors which have the following features:

1. LF driver: Magnetically shielded, 8" mineral-filled polypropylene cone with neodymium magnet, 1-1/2" diameter high-temperature voice coil, and damped rubber surround

2. HF driver: Magnetically shielded, one-inch diameter ferrofluid-cooled soft dome neodymium radiator

3. Frequency response: 35Hz-20kHz, ±3dB, ref. 500Hz

4. Amplifier power: Biamplified, 280W, (200W LF driver/80W HF driver) toroidal transformer

5. Crossover: 2.6kHz, active asymmetrical fourth-order

6. Controls: Continuously variable input sensitivity; continuously variable high-frequency trim; continuously variable low-frequency trim; switchable 80Hz second-order high-pass filter

7. Inputs: balanced XLR and 1/4"

8. Indicators: Power-on/Clip LED

9. Protection: RF interference, output current limiting, over temperature, turn on/off transient, subsonic filter, internal fuse, and magnetic shielding - 12-1/2"W x 16"H x 11-13/16"D - 32-1/2 lbs. each

My source for these speakers is a RCA Voyager 7" 16GB Tablet Android 6.0. I'll be using an adapter that ports the stereo feed from the headphone jack to the 1/4" inputs on the powered speakers.

I don't want my power bill to surge so my question is do these speakers run at 280 watts each ALL the time or is it much less with a low powered input device at a low volume such as what I plan on using?

Anyone know?

Solution
If you look on the back near the power cord you will see that each speaker will draw max of 100 watts from the AC.
This would only be at full volume. At more modest or low volume each may only draw 10-30 watts from your AC
In most cases you won't notice it on your electric bill unless you run them for long periods of time at high volumes.
If you look on the back near the power cord you will see that each speaker will draw max of 100 watts from the AC.
This would only be at full volume. At more modest or low volume each may only draw 10-30 watts from your AC
In most cases you won't notice it on your electric bill unless you run them for long periods of time at high volumes.

Solution