Powered studio speakers not working through my Digital to analogue converter

erraticjoe93

Prominent
Sep 29, 2017
CALLING ALL AUDIOPHILES

I have a serious issue that has been bugging me over the last few weeks. I have a pair of JBL LSR 305 powered studio speakers and i am wanting to use these with my pc without getting any interference. So I bought a cheep DAC from amazon here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Converter-Adapter-Optical-Headphone-2-1-CH-3-5mm-Audio-Output/dp/B00IXN6L3G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1506787481&sr=8-2&keywords=dac+esynic - I am using the SPDIF input from my DAC which connects to my audio line out jack on the PC. I am then running left/right RCA output on the DAC to 1/4 inch mono into each speaker. I have set the speaker as my default playback device in sound settings but still getting no sound through the speakers. I really don't know what to do now, hope someone can help before I pull my hair out :heink:

Solution
A DAC converts digital audio to analog audio so the one you link to requires an optical or coax digital audio output on the PC. You can't connect it to the analog line output on the PC.
If your PC doesn't have digital audio out you would need a USB DAC.

erraticjoe93

Prominent
Sep 29, 2017

Thanks man that makes perfect sense! USB DAC it is :)

MERGED QUESTION
Question from erraticjoe93 : "Can't get my audio to work through my studio speakers!"

There is no such thing as an optical to 3.5mm cable.
Optical is light and 3.5mm is electrical.
If your PC has a SPDIF optical out then then connects to the DAC with a toslink optical cable. The output of the DAC connects to the speakers wtth Select the optical out as your playback device and set the PC to output in 2 channel stereo.
If your PC doesn't have an optical or coax digital audio output you can't use a DAC unless it has a USB input.