Preamp buzzing sound

Jun 20, 2018
Hey guys,

Few months ago I started experiencing some problem with my preamp on home sound system.

I have Gemini PS-626 Pro preamp with some 5.1 speakers, so it's connected from PC to preamp, and output to 5.1

Before, everything worked fine, inside same house, even same wall socket. So while testing I tried to disconnect everything and remove from wall socket, just put preamp with speakers, so I can be sure that problem not comming from PC. I tried to connect sound system directly to phone and sound seems fine. But after that I realized that I can hear buzzing even on phones (connected to preamp with 6.3 mm jack).

Preamp is connected to ground with IEC-C13 and speakers are not grounded. I'm pretty sure that problem is in preamp since when I disconnect speakers, still can hear buzz via phones.

Now I'm thinking, what could be problem. Since preamp is old few years, maybe it's life end for it, or what and how can I test it?

Best regards.

Solution
If you can hear the buzz with headphones and no inputs connected to the mixer then the problem is in the mixer.
Could be a bad circuit board trace, bad ground. bad capacitor, or power supply issue. Might as well open it up look around. A tech could probably fix it for you. Old school gear is easier to work on if you have some experience with it.
If you can hear the buzz with headphones and no inputs connected to the mixer then the problem is in the mixer.
Could be a bad circuit board trace, bad ground. bad capacitor, or power supply issue. Might as well open it up look around. A tech could probably fix it for you. Old school gear is easier to work on if you have some experience with it.

Solution