Prevent Speaker's Standby Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanz700

Honorable
Sep 19, 2013
Hello,

I recently bought a pair of Creative T40's. They are great speakers, but have this annoying "standby mode" in which they power down after being idle for 10 minutes. They do come right back on when I start playing a song, but there is a 3-5 second delay.

My question: Is it possible to trick these speakers into thinking I'm constantly playing sound via a Windows or Realtek setting to prevent the standby mode? A Creative customer service rep told me that if I have my PC volume set to 100% it should prevent it, but it doesn't. Not sure if maybe there is some sound setting in Windows or my Realtek driver I could enable?

I use Windows 7 and the integrated Realtek sound chip on the Asus Z87 Deluxe.

Solution
Hi.
I found myself a trick to defeat this annoying "feature". This trick is little tricky ;) but I'm sure some could make use of it too.

So I've created an audio file with really low frequency tone. You can use any audio editing application to generate that low frequency tone. So it's a 3 sec WAV file 11kHz/16bit/mono containing a 10Hz tone with fade in and fade out to avoid clicking. This tone is low enough for this kind of speakers won't play it at all (I believe, it's gonna be filtered actually), but they'll hear it. Anyway, you're not gonna hear it.
Then I've googled a VB script for a background audio playback.
Looks like this:

Set Sound = CreateObject("WMPlayer.OCX.7")
Sound.URL = "WakeupHum.wav"
Sound.Controls.play
do while...

Arthur Shogenoff

Estimable
Apr 22, 2015
Hi.
I found myself a trick to defeat this annoying "feature". This trick is little tricky ;) but I'm sure some could make use of it too.

So I've created an audio file with really low frequency tone. You can use any audio editing application to generate that low frequency tone. So it's a 3 sec WAV file 11kHz/16bit/mono containing a 10Hz tone with fade in and fade out to avoid clicking. This tone is low enough for this kind of speakers won't play it at all (I believe, it's gonna be filtered actually), but they'll hear it. Anyway, you're not gonna hear it.
Then I've googled a VB script for a background audio playback.
Looks like this:

Set Sound = CreateObject("WMPlayer.OCX.7")
Sound.URL = "WakeupHum.wav"
Sound.Controls.play
do while Sound.currentmedia.duration = 0
wscript.sleep 100
loop
wscript.sleep (int(Sound.currentmedia.duration)+1)*1000

It has to be saved as .vbs file and launched with 'wscript.exe' to produce no any UI at all.

And what would you think I did next? Obviously, set the Windows Task Scheduler to run that .vbs file each 10 minutes.
Actually, it may stop your PC from auto sleeping, I'm not sure, I don't use it, only auto screen off.
Also, setting schedules is Task Scheduler is pretty much flexible, so you can set it run for a day, but stop waking up the speakers at late evening.

So, hope this helps.
Cheers.

Reactions: -Tulip-
Solution

quaddy

Estimable
Dec 26, 2015
this sounds superb, am having exactly the same issue

trouble is i have no idea how to get this 10hz tone and what i tried making myself isnt working, is there any way for you to post this .wav file? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.