Private File Server with static links.

dosgamer12

Prominent
Jun 23, 2017
I'm almost done with one of my programs, but I realized when putting the update function in:
"Since this is a paid program, sourceforge would make the updates public." And since this is a DOS program, ftp doesn't work (at least, not with wget). Also, when I upload the updates under "LATEST.ZIP" i need the link to be static. Anybody know any good sites/how to get the ftp to work?

Solution
A good and free solution is to get filezilla server and set it up on a PC that you can leave running and hard lined and serve the files that way. And then you can set up a domain name with DNS that points to your IP address and port number for the server (so that you are not giving out your public IP to people). Since filezilla pretty much only works via ftp you are covered on that front. All you would need to do is buy hard drives for storage if need be. Otherwise your only good solution with a host is a paid one. Most any of the big names out there that you pay for will work with ftp and would have more bandwidth for more than one person to download at whatever speed they have for their internet compared to what you have. If you are...

xSimply1337x

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Not entirely sure what you are asking.
Are you looking for a hosting solution that supports ftp that hosts on some server somewhere? Are you trying to set up your own server for hissing these files? Are you having trouble using a specific program to upload to an already chosen host? Your post isn't very clear on what it is you are trying to do and with what services/programs. We need details. All you've said is that you are trying to upload something and it won't upload. You haven't specified to where you are uploading, with what programs and on what OS.

dosgamer12

Prominent
Jun 23, 2017

I'm looking for a host that supports static links that are not public to everyone so I can upload my ZIPs to them.

xSimply1337x

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Got it. Just a couple more questions.

Are you looking to store these files for yourself only?

If so do you need access to them away from home?

If so do you have a PC that is running or can run windows or Linux if your main PC isn't already?

If so what is your upload speed and does your ISP offer unlimited bandwidth?

dosgamer12

Prominent
Jun 23, 2017

1. No, but it will only be accessible by paying customers on MS-DOS.
2. Yes, I will access this wherever I am.
3. I have an old gaming laptop from 2013 running Linux with an i3 and 8GB of ram.
4. I have 100mbps upload speed (fiber line) with unlimited bandwidth
If the 100mbps upload speed isn't fast enough, I can go get 10GBPS in my area if I have to.

xSimply1337x

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
A good and free solution is to get filezilla server and set it up on a PC that you can leave running and hard lined and serve the files that way. And then you can set up a domain name with DNS that points to your IP address and port number for the server (so that you are not giving out your public IP to people). Since filezilla pretty much only works via ftp you are covered on that front. All you would need to do is buy hard drives for storage if need be. Otherwise your only good solution with a host is a paid one. Most any of the big names out there that you pay for will work with ftp and would have more bandwidth for more than one person to download at whatever speed they have for their internet compared to what you have. If you are willing to go the paid route just find one you like the looks of and see if they have an unlimited or large enough storage allowance for your files. However, if this is to become a thing that makes you money and you can afford the expenditure then the best way for full control over everything would be to go gigabit or higher and invest into a file server machine for home use and setting it up yourself but that'll set you back a bit financially and is time consuming and if you don't already know how then there is the time it would take to learn how to set it all up.

So to summarize:
For a basic file server option that's free use filezilla server on a dedicated machine running Windows or Linux and have enough storage for the files.

For a fairly hassle free option that won't require you to do anything yourself go with a paid hosting solution. Just doing a quick Google search for best file hosting and check them out.

If what you are looking to do is have a hosting solution that requires a log in that is behind a pay wall and is all in one I wouldn't know where to point you other than Google. However, if the pay wall is simply people paying you directly and you providing them with a log in username and password yourself then that can be done in filezilla. In filezilla you can set up log in accounts for the server.

That's about all I can really do for you information wise on this matter. If what you are looking for goes deeper than just finding a hosting solution that supports ftp (because these people who are downloading are using dos and therefore can only use ftp) with some user log in functionality then I wouldn't know what to tell you.

Solution