Probems with some keys in Lenovo Ideapad 700

Oct 13, 2018
For some time some of the keys in my laptop keyboard refuse to work at random times and those are always the same keys in the row that starts with 'A'; 'G' and 'H' always work but the rest of the letters and ';' randomly stop working. When they do refuse to work I just hit them randomly and after awhile they work again but quite often one hit of a key that didn't work before gives more than one letter on the screen. Then they stop working again and then, after pressing them randomly they start working but sometimes I need to press a key very hard to see the letter on the screen.

In a few threads I found suggestions about updating BIOS, updating drivers, uninstalling drivers etc. - I have tried all that and nothing changed.

Can ask for a suggestion what might be the nature of the issue? Is there a relatively simple fix?

I usually suggest holding the laptop upside down on your shoulder, then pat it on the base as though you were burping your baby. Toast crumbs and cat fur are the top two suspects that fall to the floor and sometimes, the keyboard behaves much better.

Oct 13, 2018

Is this forum for kids only?... If I didn't try the obvious I wouldn't bother posting the question. I would recommend checkin on youtube how the keys are mounted or replaced in this model. If somebody manages to push rubbish in there.... Well, good luck...

You asked for simple and sometimes that's the best suggestion that's worked for a number of folks with this problem.

Your "straight line" theory goes against all the experience I've had of dud keys; and there's been a lot of them through my workshop over the years. Almost without exception, the pattern has been of a diamond shape, so you could see Y, G, H and B could fail while everything else works perfectly well.

I've also seen a lot of manufacturers' specs on keyboards but never come across one that goes into the detail you seek.

Maybe re-seating the ribbon cable might sort things out.

I'm sorry if you found my suggestion childish but yes, we do respond to a lot of folks who overlook the blindingly obvious and sometimes, simple basics works.

Oct 13, 2018

This answer sounds a lot more like it's written by somebody who know what they're talking about. Thanks for that.
In this model you can see what's under a key by dismounting it - just a single key, without going under the whole keyboard or inside the case because it looks like the keyboard is not a whole component like in many other laptops (but I may be wrong). I removed one of the keys that did not work and did not even found much of dust there. I cleaned what I could with a cotton bud and tried to put the key back in place which did not end up well. And the key still doesn't work. I also opened the case but what I found inside was not what I expected to see - I didn't see a motherboard but more cases and more tiny screws. I am not that good with hardware and I wouldn't even risk trying to find the ribbon cable in there so I guess the only solution in this case will be to see if somebody else can fix it.
Thanks.