TheKingBoar

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
I'm having a bit of a problem with my receiver. I bought a Sony STR-DH800 to use with my new surround sound system. While the sound works fine, I'm having some problems with the video on it. Specifically, I can't get the component input ports to work. The HDMI in ports work fine, but whenever I plug in my cable box or Wii to the component ports, I can't get any video from them. I've tried basic trouble shooting and even contact Sony about it. They said my box was shot, and to return it for service. I didn't want to wait, so I just brought it back to the store and exchanged it for another one. This one has the same issues, so I'm doubting that its actually a hardware issue. Sony tech support is useless on this matter though. How can I get the video to work in the component ports? The sound on the associated sound inputs works fine, just no video. A note though, and this just may be a beginners mistake, is that the only connection between the receiver and the TV is HDMI. Does component not broadcast through HDMI? My brother in law has a similar Sony receiver that is capable of this, so I don't think its that either, but thought it was worth mentioning.