Problems with Canon Digital Cameras

bob44012

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
I have purchased 5 Canon cameras within the past 7 years. I initially purchased a Canon Rebel slr. I then purchased a Canon EOS Rebel and a Canon video cameral which had a hard drive. I later purchased another updated version of the Rebel as a gift and a G9 Power Shot.

The only camera which has not failed and is the slr and the new Rebel which I purchased last year for Christmas. The video camera, first eos rebel and the G9 have completely malfunctioned and quit operating. I have contacted the company and was told that they would be happy to replace the G9 with a refurbished one for $250. I feel that I have been a loyal Canon customer and that they should either repair the G9 which only lasted 15 months as well as the video camera which stopped working in less than 2 years. I feel that they must be having quality control problems and I will not purchase a Canon product again.

My question is has anyone else been having or experienced problems with Canon ?

R. Cobos

G

Google it, you will find lots of Canon camera problems -- though bear in mind that Canon are among the top sellers so, inevitably perhaps, they will have high number of failures -- not necessarily representing a high failure rate (percentage-wise).

Specifically, your issues with Canon (say the G9) -- responsibility usually lies with the retailer to remedy problems outside warranty.

Cameras are consumer durables and should be reasonably durable. Twelve month warranties usually state that the warranty does not affect your normal consumer rights -- which are between you and the retailer.

bob44012

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
Google it, you will find lots of Canon camera problems -- though bear in mind that Canon are among the top sellers so, inevitably perhaps, they will have high number of failures -- not necessarily representing a high failure rate (percentage-wise).

Specifically, your issues with Canon (say the G9) -- responsibility usually lies with the retailer to remedy problems outside warranty.

Cameras are consumer durables and should be reasonably durable. Twelve month warranties usually state that the warranty does not affect your normal consumer rights -- which are between you and the retailer.

I agree that the retailer should have some responsibility but as is often the case they refuse to do anything and refer you back to the company. I feel that the company (Canon) is aware of the lack of quality in their products and is basically selling overpriced junk.

G

Your contract is with the retailer, not Canon.

I've had experience of managers of major UK retailer branches taking the line that it's not the retailer's responsibility once the warranty expires (which is self-evidently silly).

Once I contacted head office and talked about court proceedings the local manager got told to sort out the problem pronto.

Depending on where you live there are courses of action open to you: in US; Better Business Bureau or Small Claims. UK, Govt's Consumer Direct service or Small Claims in the County Court.