Problems with OEM software?

FishaOfMen

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2002
I'm thinking about picking up Norton Systemworks 2002. Looking around online, I find that I can pick it up way cheap if I get the unboxed OEM version. Is there any problem with buying OEM software like this? Is there any advantage to buying the boxed retail version?

OldBear

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2001
The retail version comes with a printed manual but most users don't need it
otherwise I don't believe there is a difference.

:smile: <font color=blue><b>You get what you pay for...all advice here is free.</b></font color=blue> :smile:

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
OldBear is right about the no difference. I just recently learned this myself. If you can live with the no documentation/instructions and pretty box, I say go OEM.

<b><font color=red>Cast your vote with your $,</b></font color=red> <b><font color=blue>shed your pride with your opinion.</b></font color=blue>

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
Yah no difference and the manual is usually on the cd in .pdf format or downloadable from the web site. You can use Adobe Acrobat Reader to read it which is usually also on the cd or downloadable.

Save a tree, you don't need printed manuals or fancy boxes.

<i>It is not illegal until you get caught! :wink: </i>

Arrow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Buying OEM software saves a ton of money. It's just not packaged in such a fancy way.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

Speedfreak

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2002
Good question.

The folks above have given you your answer.

Go for it!

Oh, I'm sorry. Did I accidentally blow your head off.......again?

FishaOfMen

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2002
Thank you guys so much for the thoughtful posts. I went ahead and got Systemworks 2002 and it's already been well-worth the $11 that I spent. I'm going with OEM software from here on out.

OldBear

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2001
Your welcome from all of us. Wise choice.

:smile: <font color=blue><b>You get what you pay for...all advice here is free.</b></font color=blue> :smile: