PSU Kernel-Errors on Laptops

David91

Estimable
Nov 20, 2014
Hello,
i'm having some issues with kernel errors 41, task category (63). The pc basically shuts down instantly.
I get these only in game and only when playing LoL, any other game even more intensive like SC2 doesn't have any problem which is weird

Now i know that these are usually related to PSU not supplying enough power, however what does this mean when the machine is a laptop. In short how do i know if its my actual PSU that's dying on me or the battery.
The shutdowns happen both while the PSU is plugged in and when I'm running on battery only.

I have checked MSI Afterburner logs and my GPU temp and all cores temp is around 60 celsius when the problem happens, so pretty sure its not overheat.

pc details:
VAIO Laptop
CPU
________________________________________________________________________________
Model : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 740 @ 1.73GHz
Logical cores : 8
CPUID : GenuineIntel family 6, model E, stepping 5
Tjmax : 100°C

GPU1
________________________________________________________________________________
Display device : GeForce GT 330M on GT216 GPU
Display driver : 8.16.11.8925, 189.25
On-board memory : 1024MB
BIOS : 70.16.45.00.05

error I get right before shutdown:
Service Control Manager-7023
The Energy Server Service service terminated with the following error:
%%268439612

Solution
If you're using a GPU that isn't integrated, it very well could be that the standard power supply for your machine simply isn't able to supply enough energy to the GPU in order to use higher graphical settings.

Try turning down the settings and see if the problem persists. If it doesn't, it's definitely the power supply. I'm not sure where you'd acquire one capable of powering your GPU, but it'd be best to contact the manufacturer so you don't ruin other components of the laptop by using something more powerful than you need.

Camar0ss

Estimable
Nov 19, 2014
If you're using a GPU that isn't integrated, it very well could be that the standard power supply for your machine simply isn't able to supply enough energy to the GPU in order to use higher graphical settings.

Try turning down the settings and see if the problem persists. If it doesn't, it's definitely the power supply. I'm not sure where you'd acquire one capable of powering your GPU, but it'd be best to contact the manufacturer so you don't ruin other components of the laptop by using something more powerful than you need.

Solution