Question about headphone amps

Krayton

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
I am planning on getting the Audio Technica ATH-AD700X's with my new rig and I don't know what I need for an amp. Yes I know I technically can get away without one, I just want really good quality.

I like the Schiit products and was planning on getting the Magni 2 and Modi 2 eventually. Then I stumbled on the "Fulla" dac/amp combo.

http://schiit.com/products/fulla

I was wondering if this would sufficiently power the 700X's and give me high-ish end sound. I know it's a cheap solution but they seem to make quality stuff on the cheap.

The 700X's specs are:
Frequency Response 5 – 30,000 Hz
Maximum Input Power 700 mW
Sensitivity 100 dB/mW
Impedance 38 ohms

The Fulla specs:
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 2Hz-200KHz, -3dB
Maximum Power:
16 ohms: 400mW RMS per channel
32 ohms: 300mW RMS per channel
50 ohms: 220mW RMS per channel
300 ohms: 40mW RMS per channel
THD: <0.004%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 1V RMS
IMD: <0.005%, CCIR
SNR: >101db, A-weighted, referenced to 1V RMS
Crosstalk: >-67dB, 20 Hz-20KHz
Output Impedance: Less than 0.4 ohms
Gain: 1.5 (3.5db)

Solution
An amp for those headphones are of course not necessary but, of course it will help.
The headphones will benefit from an amp and if you were to go for one the magni+modi stack is a good place to start.
Don't expect drastic changes in sound however, the impedance of the headphones aren't particularly high and as they're dynamic, they're rather efficient with the juice that's provided to them.
Buy the headphones first and listen to them. If you feel you want more out of them, go ahead and go for the magni+modi stack. It's very good value for money.
I only imagine you'd gain a slightly better soundstage with some tigher bass however.
The fulla I wouldn't advise, never heard of it before and looks much more like a rather budget option for...

l1ghtm4st3r

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
An amp for those headphones are of course not necessary but, of course it will help.
The headphones will benefit from an amp and if you were to go for one the magni+modi stack is a good place to start.
Don't expect drastic changes in sound however, the impedance of the headphones aren't particularly high and as they're dynamic, they're rather efficient with the juice that's provided to them.
Buy the headphones first and listen to them. If you feel you want more out of them, go ahead and go for the magni+modi stack. It's very good value for money.
I only imagine you'd gain a slightly better soundstage with some tigher bass however.
The fulla I wouldn't advise, never heard of it before and looks much more like a rather budget option for people on the move and wouldn't give you what you're after.

Of course, an alternative is getting a Fiio e17 / e07k+e09k / Little Dot. All very reasonable, but definitely hear the headphones before getting an amp.

Solution