Solved! Question: do I want a laptop, tablet, or something else?

Mashuguna

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
I'd like to get a device to do a few things. I do not understand the current models of touchscreen laptops and tablets with keyboards - I'm overwhelmed. I'd love any advice.

I want to use the device to do a few simple things:

- watch movies in bed on something bigger than my phone (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu)
- Act as a basic laptop for simple web surfing, Google Docs, You Tube (with a real keyboard even if it is a separate add on for a tablet)
- read e-books from Amazon
- non-Apple; I like the Google/Android or Windows ecosystems but not Apple for various reasons

And I'd like to spend as little as possible since this is an indulgence. What do you think? Thanks for any advice or explanation of how the products stack up today.

Solution
Something like a Samsung Tab A with a keyboard cover if a 10" screen is big enough for you. The amazon tablet range might be worth a look too.
The battery life and portability is generally a lot better on a tablet, and they have nicer screen for the price. There are also dedicated apps for all the things you list. I have the Tab S2 myself which is a bit more powerful and has a nicer screen, but it wasn't cheap. Add a chromecast and you can use them to watch all this stuff on the TV too.

If you want a bigger screen then a laptop is really the only choice, but reading books on it will be less than Ideal. and they are bulky to hold for any length of time. whatever you go for I recommend finding one in a store somewhere and checking on the...

punkncat

Proper
Apr 3, 2018
IMO, get an inexpensive laptop with a Core i5 and an SSD. It will (generally) last you for years.

Just the same way that your phone becomes sluggish and mostly worthless over a few years, tablets , specifically ARM powered devices, do the SAME thing.

I spend ~$700 10 years ago on a nice laptop. I have upgraded the RAM and put in an SSD since it didn't come with and it still works wonderfully for the exact things you mention. If that isn't in your budget for this, find a well reviewed refurb from a known brand.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Something like a Samsung Tab A with a keyboard cover if a 10" screen is big enough for you. The amazon tablet range might be worth a look too.
The battery life and portability is generally a lot better on a tablet, and they have nicer screen for the price. There are also dedicated apps for all the things you list. I have the Tab S2 myself which is a bit more powerful and has a nicer screen, but it wasn't cheap. Add a chromecast and you can use them to watch all this stuff on the TV too.

If you want a bigger screen then a laptop is really the only choice, but reading books on it will be less than Ideal. and they are bulky to hold for any length of time. whatever you go for I recommend finding one in a store somewhere and checking on the screen picture quality.

Avoid those really cheap tablets with 1G or less of RAM, they run really slow and have low quality screens

Solution