Questions about the Asus Q551LN-BBI706 Laptop

Trippn Billy

Estimable
Dec 11, 2014
My grandson has asked for a 2 in 1 laptop for Christmas. The Asus Q551LN-BBI706 sold at Best Buy is the only one I can find with a dedicated (nvidia gt840m) graphics card.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-2-in-1-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i7-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-black/7289029.p?id=1219262038351&skuId=7289029
With it's specs it should be able run most games at medium to low graphics settings. I have one concern. It is said to be a discontinued model despite only being out since September. Anyone know about this?
I have also read that only Samsung ssd and HD are compatible with this model. ???

gytisxp

Honorable
Jul 20, 2013

Why does your grandson need dedicated graphics on what is basicly a tablet. Does he have a decent desktop?

Trippn Billy

Estimable
Dec 11, 2014
He is playing the PC version of Mine Craft with mods on my wifes I7 laptop with Intel 4000 graphics. With some of the mods the fps will fall below 15 with the game graphics set to min. and the laptops graphics maxed out. The benchmarks for gt840m graphics card is double the marks for the integrated graphics of the 4th gen I7. It is not a true gaming laptop but it is close.

gytisxp

Honorable
Jul 20, 2013

Why don`t you get him a gaming desktop?

Trippn Billy

Estimable
Dec 11, 2014

slidiot

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
Not only is this laptop one of the few that is a convertible, but it also has a DVD drive, which is a rarity among 2-in-1s.

There is an HP Envy I believe I've seen in Best Buy also with dedicated graphics, and 12gb of memory.... might be worth considering. Its most obvious downside was not having the build quality out of the gate.

jtoledo

Estimable
Jan 12, 2015
I bought this laptop last week and in another forum read posts by Asus person saying that is a discontinued model, Why? Doesn't inform but it's inconcebeable that a recent laptop with good skills get out of race too soon.

I'm worried because hate Win 8x and change the hard disk and installed an AData SSD for Win7x64, but lack of drivers. I started saturday so need more time to get it 100% functional.

I suspects that you grandson is like my daughter, she plays Minecraft and download lot of mods. The modest i5 laptop (don't remember his graphics card) almost burns after 45mins. When she unplugged from AC adapter, the cpu reduces his speed and power, but works over 30% (measured in task manager "TaskMgr"). The battery duration is too short, and practically drains to the fan, frequently need remembered that must use a fan base to avoid injuries in her legs. When she plays in my HP dv6 (i7 with 8MB, shared graphics) occurs the same, high power demand from CPU by java.exe.

Meanwhile notes low fps, "lagging" and freezes or even crashes when load many mods. But this happens by a conception mistake: MINECRAFT isn't a AAA game or requires a heavy graphics card... MINECRAFT RUNS IN JAVA and only demands a good processor instead good video card. If you see carefully, the graphics seems "primitive" squares. There aren't physics particles, reflections and so on, the principal fact is the interaction between java objects (classes). The "mods" are huge collection of java classes ( materials, objects, definitions, behaviors, animals, rocks, fossils ).

The main resources than demands are CPU megaflops and with 8 MB RAM minimum. I 'recommend' a desktop because has better i7's versions. If asks for laptops look with suffix M/Q not "U". "U" means mobile platform for basic demand and low power, "M" or "Q" offers better performance. Don't worry about the graphics card for Minecraft. The desktop will give better power for mods.

jtoledo

Estimable
Jan 12, 2015
Finally almost forgot answer your second question:
1) You can put any brand of SSD drives, my AData included a small plate to adjust the height, was required to correctly align the SATA connectors. I could leave the AData disk with or without it. The height difference was in the top of disk and towards keyboard laptop.

Another observations: This laptop is beatiful inside. good design. The screen looks precious and it's touch! The body is almost 360 turnable in tablet.

If you buy it for your grandson plays Minecraft, will need a fan base. The bottom body don't have (in my personal opinion) enough ventilation holes, all the heat is distributed in the bottom like an iron for clothes. And knowing the high demand of that game, the worst thing for your grandson will be play with the laptop twisted like tablet, the heat from the body will be too near at the back of screen/touch. Little space for heat disipation.
Regards

tuifua

Estimable
Jan 15, 2015
I don't know about it being discontinued. Amazon sells one (though I can't tell if it has the dedicated graphics card). It looks like Asus made a base model that Best Buy upgraded. I don't think the base model is discontinued.

I have one and it is great.

The first thing I did was replace the hard drive with an Samsung Evo 256 SSD. Easy install and is blazingly fast, cool, and quiet now. It literally starts up and is ready to use in less than 10 seconds (no exaggeration). I play Far Cry 3, Skyrim and Batman Arkham Origins on it which are much more graphically intensive than Minecraft and they play on high setting smoothly. I never have anti-aliasing turned on to max, but then again, I can't really tell the difference anyway.

The only thing I'm not impressed with is the trackpad. The buttons on it are sub-par. But it is usable for every day tasks and no one in their right mind would use a trackpad for games anyway.

I highly recommend this computer. You won't find another high-end, upgradable, 2-in-1 laptop with a dedicated graphics card, and an optical drive out there.

dwaynehope

Estimable
Jan 22, 2015
I bought this laptop for my wife. I upgraded the hard drive to an ssd. it's screaming fast for everything we have tried, although, I can't speak to how great the video card is. but I believe this model N550JKDS71T, by asus, is also a convertible, has a little better dedicated video card, and is on sale at best buy for about $5 more than the q551.

but personally, I love this laptop.

jzh

Estimable
Feb 21, 2015

I want to ask how did you change the hhd for the ssd?

CJ Banning

Estimable
Mar 9, 2015
well, the reason Q551LN is a specialty model made for Best Buy. Best Buy only the other section of the same model based is the TP500 line from Asus . The reason why it is discontinued is not because they stop making the components it's because it was a special one for Best Buy. If you go into a Best Buy now they are now eligible to sell the TP 500 line, which during Christmas. They were not able to sell. The only thing that you cannot do on this computer is run da Vinci resolve due to an incompatibility issue with OpenCL.
But other than that this is a great laptop should last a while, you'll rarely ever use it as a two and one, but the ability to watch a movie and have it Lanier lapis pretty convenient highly suggest you upgrade your RAM and has a four 4 inside the motherboard and then another changeable 4 gig which I suggest you upgrade to 8 GB. My other suggestion if you anticipate this laptop to last you whileis to get the Western Digital Black2 dual drive, which gives you 120 gig solid-state drive, and it also gives you a terabyte of the spin drive you have to go into the bios to update it, but if you can read it's fairly simple.

nictibbe

Estimable
Mar 17, 2015

Do you know what 8GB RAM is compatible with this laptop? Can it upgrade to 16GB at all or is 12 its max? I just got it and need a bit more for a game I wanted to play. Great laptop so far and I love it!

crazyfool123

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009

I also bought this. A couple of qs:

Did you replace the 1TB original or the DVD slot?

How did you install Windows after this?

Thanks.

Jason Niesen

Estimable
May 11, 2015

Here are some specs on compatible RAM http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/ASUS/q551ln#

I have this laptop, too... and love it! However, it doesn't seem you can upgrade more than 12GB of RAM... which sucks because I specifically asked that at Best Buy and was told I could upgrade to 32GB. Even the link above shows it should have 4 RAM ports.

If anyone knows how to upgrade to more than just 12GB, I would love to know how!

Jason Niesen

Estimable
May 11, 2015

I also upgraded to an SSD.. it was fairly simple. I replaced the original 1TB HDD with the SSD but then attached the HDD as an external and redirected my desktop, documents, downloads, etc to the external.

With our current HDD still installed, you can find a Windows tool that will make a bootable thumb drive to use on your new SSD. You will have to make some changes to the BIOS to be able to boot from USB but it's fairly simple to do and easy to find on the web, if you need to (or post back if you need more help).

I wasn't ever able to get the FastBoot back but it is a small price to pay for the heaven that is SSD :)

Tim_20

Honorable
Dec 1, 2015
Hey Billy,

I have to say...I just bought this computer a week ago...along with the Lenovo Y50-70 touch...and I am loving this machine. I haven't done much gaming yet besides Diablo III...but it ran that very smoothly on the highest graphics level. I love the fact that I am able to use it as a tablet (although it's a heavy tablet...doesn't bother me at all). I'm very happy with this purchase...and don't regret it a bit. you have to watch though...because a lot of newer laptops nowadays now come with no dvd drive. Although the slim external ones are only 30-40...I always prefer to have it in the computer so that my kids don't decide to take it and hide it :)

Hope this helps! good luck