Quick question: Will this laptop CPU bottleneck the GPU?

aliasMihai93

Estimable
Sep 23, 2014
Hello!
I'm planning to buy a medium cheap laptop and these are the best specs i found:
CPU: i3 3217U 1.8 GHz
GPU: Nvidia GT 740M 2GB
RAM: 4GB

This GPU is by far the best I found in this price range.However,the CPU isn't that amazing...is the GPU too good for the CPU? Is this a bad pair?

Solution
Then the gt 740m is quite good for the price. This is probably the best you will get for the price, correct me if I am wrong. I am also assuming the type of games you play are not that cpu or gpu intensive.

dovah-chan

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014
Seems like a decent pairing to me but you'd be better off on battery life if you went with a Haswell based system instead of ivy bridge. What price range is this at? Looks like you're shooting around the $400 mark.

aliasMihai93

Estimable
Sep 23, 2014

500$ maximum,forgot to mention.
This is the best GPU in this price range.Other options include nvidia 820M,720M,Radeon HD 7670 (i think) and they come with slightly better CPUs such as i3 4010U 1.7 GHz.I really don't know..the GT 740M seems too good to trade for something like 720M. (according to Game Debate site rankings)

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
Ok because the GT 740 is a discrete card it has it's own memory. If that system had only integrated graphics then it would share system memory with the CPU. So you would get better performance from that laptop then a laptop with an i3 and only integrated graphics.