Ram at 90% while doing Nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonyissocool

Estimable
Feb 17, 2015
Hi my Name is Jon and i've been experiencing high ram usage without an Answer..

I currently have 4 GB of ram on my laptop and i am running windows 8 .

I have run Full scans With my kaspersky total security and have found nothing ..

I also looked in my task manager and it says that 200mb is being used in total but yet it says 90% is being used up.. I am really confused and dumbfounded on to what to do now.. I tried many solutions online and have found nothing, I ran a rootkit scan and found nothing on that too.

This just recently started too , i had this laptop for a while and the ram was usually at around 27% being used with some simple processes up and all of a sudden its 90%!!! and i don't know whats going on . If someone can help me that would be awesome!

Thank you

Reactions: X_Gumby_X

bootcher

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
See in task manager what exactly is hogging your memory (right click on your taskbar). Besides that, windows itself uses up a lot of memory, more than 4gb. For any windows system I would recommend getting 8gb.

Jonyissocool

Estimable
Feb 17, 2015

Theres nothing hogging my memory thats the problem .. and im sure its not the size of ram considering that it worked perfectly fine and was actually pretty speedy about a week a goo.. I also dont recall downloading anything recently

Jonyissocool

Estimable
Feb 17, 2015

I dont recall installing anything recently aside from a couple music albums from itunes.. it was more random than anything.. i also did do a system restore and the odd thing is that the problem still persists, One day it goes from fast, to turning it on and all laggy.. and it said my ram usage was up to 90% when i turned it on

bootcher

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
In task manager, try this:
Open task manager, goto view menu above. Goto 'select columns', and in the list select 'memory - non-paged pool'.
Now see in the task manager if there is anything hogging memory.

Jonyissocool

Estimable
Feb 17, 2015

It says 2.5 gigs of ram is being used for non paged pool .. is that normal

techtonic69

Estimable
Mar 10, 2015
Had the exact same issue (have 16gb ram and it was at13.6gb for no reason). The problem IS THE FULL SCANS they are such pigs! The moment I stopped mine I went from 84 percent ram usage to 11 percent! I highly recommend turning them off and just doing the other scans more regularly. It's unfortunate but Kaspersky's full scans are the culprit. Hope this helps like it helped me!
Brandon

bootcher

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Whatever is using the large amount of memory is causing the trouble. This could be alot of things, bad drivers, bad programs etc. Rebooting only helps temporarily untill you use the driver/program again. Bets thing to do is install an updated or older driver, or in case of a program check for updates or use another program. For instance there are alot of anti-virus alternatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.