Solved! Razer Blade 14 No Keyboard Functionally After Exposure to Moisture

Aug 12, 2019
The built-in keyboard and touchpad buttons on my Razer Blade 14" gaming laptop are not responding to key input. This occurred shortly after a few drops of water entered the bottom right corner of my laptop keyboard. Shortly after this happened, I attached my USB cooling fan in an attempt to remove the moisture. However, I could already see my laptop reacting to the moisture as it began calling random keys as the moisture made its way through the board. It started by repeatedly calling the shift key, toggling sticky keys on and off, and made its way to the arrow keys, then to toggling the elements panel in Chrome (whose keyboard shortcut is CMD+SHIFT+C or CMD+OPT+C). The random keyboard input continued, stopping for awhile and starting up again, and I also began noticing slight and momentary changes with the speakers but all of this ultimately subsided after 30 minutes and the laptop appeared to be acting normally. I had no issues then or the next day but 2 days after the water catastrophe when I went to use my laptop, I noticed that my keyboard wasn't accepting any key input. The lights on my keyboard still work and every other function on my laptop appears to be working; I've continued to use it by using the touch-screen functionality and a mouse (note that I'm still able to use USB devices). I'm not sure why the keyboard lights, touchpad, speakers, and USB drivers have maintained functionality while key input and touchpad buttons don't despite working shortly after the accident. If anyone could offer some insight about why this is happening or perhaps someone has encountered a similar situation that would be great. I'll probably end up taking it to a computer repair shop as I'm not very knowledgable about computer hardware and I'm also experiencing a battery issue where the laptop doesn't show the battery life when unplugged and will randomly turn off without warning.

Solution
You do realize you should never leave a device on after getting any water on it, let alone use the device right?

Sounds like you got more liquid in there than you thought and it may have moved to multiple areas.

Turn off the laptop. Leave it off. Unplug the charger, remove the battery and disconnect anything that is attached to it. Then put the laptop somewhere it can dry out (while open) for at least 24 hours. Yes, I know you said it has been a while since this occurred, but you have been trying to use it (powered on) and it hasn't been opened up, so fan or not there is likely moisture in there.

After at least 24 hours, then try putting it back together and see if it will work.
You do realize you should never leave a device on after getting any water on it, let alone use the device right?

Sounds like you got more liquid in there than you thought and it may have moved to multiple areas.

Turn off the laptop. Leave it off. Unplug the charger, remove the battery and disconnect anything that is attached to it. Then put the laptop somewhere it can dry out (while open) for at least 24 hours. Yes, I know you said it has been a while since this occurred, but you have been trying to use it (powered on) and it hasn't been opened up, so fan or not there is likely moisture in there.

After at least 24 hours, then try putting it back together and see if it will work.

Solution
Aug 12, 2019

Thank you for your helpful response! I think it goes without saying that I did not know about not leaving a device on or using said device after getting water on it. I will try your recommendations and see what happens.

Again, thank you.