Razer Kraken Chroma 7.1 wont play specific sounds

Matthew Emerson

Estimable
Jan 3, 2015
My razer kraken chroma 7.1 headset, will not play any sound other than windows sounds. For example, if i connect a device or change the volume from the taskbar, I can hear sound output through my headset, but if I try to watch a video on youtube, or play a game on steam, no sound will come out. Why will my headset play windows sounds and nothing else?

As a side note, I have the headset selected as the default device and the default communications device. Any help would be very appreciated. Thank you.

Matthew Emerson

Estimable
Jan 3, 2015

Which Speakers? If I set my screen as the default device, all sounds play from my screen's speakers, but if I switch my headset the the default device, that's when it only plays windows sounds.

I set it to the default device by right clicking the volume icon in my taskbar and going into the play back devices menu. Then I right click the razer heaset and set it as default device.

Matthew Emerson

Estimable
Jan 3, 2015

Everything seems to be fine, I think.

SkyBill40

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
How is your monitor connected to your PC? Is it via HDMI? If so, that's probably the reason you're having sound issues and conflicting devices. I have some speakers hooked up via USB and they end up doing the same thing. I have to go into the sound options, select playback device, and change my Kraken 7.1 to the default device.

Additionally, if you've not already tried it, uninstall/re-install Synapse and then run the calibration program in Synapse for your headset.

Gimme Dat

Estimable
Jan 18, 2015

I have the exact same problem with my Razer Blade Pro, it has only started today and I have checked it is default device and done the Synapse Calibration. Same problems, all audio on the internet doesn't play through and all Steam Games make no noise. All Windows applications do, such as Windows Media Player. Help is appreciated.

smasherspiers

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015
I have the exact same issue with the Razer Kraken 7.1's. Set as default device, unmuted, no sound at all. The bar on the right of the device that shows sound levels (http://gyazo.com/a2f6a274bc75ec1c7a5a2761961483ed) never goes green either, so its not like the headphones are muted/broken/not hearing the noise, its like no noise is getting sent to them. Other headphones work fine, window noises come through fine.

GeRgY

Admirable

hello there! Buddy, remmeber that the 7.1 sound have alot of sound lines. For example... when you play an YouTube video you may hear a sound from one speaker (not both). The most 7.1 speakers gives a sound like this :
Center - Voice/talk
Front rear - Music/Sounds effects
Subwoofer - Bass/Bass+voices
Back rear - Film or video effects (no speach) and a bit music fills

The Kraken 7.1 is the same (its virtual or not surround but works same). Don't worry about this windows sounds... If you work on this computer turn off your 7.1 sound (when you play games turn it on again). Razer Synaps will give you very easy way to set your headset right ( its insane easy to on/off ).
Check your cabels... try it on another device :bounce:
Watch over your sofware and get RazerSurround (reccomended). You will activate the pro version with registration on your headset (serial and product numbers bellow left speaker). Once you do this you will be happy!

JamesFTFW

Estimable
Jan 21, 2015
Try uninstalling Razer Synapse 2.0 via the control panel. (Assuming you have it using any Razer Product) I had this very issue with my Razer Kraken and tried all the steps you could imagine, setting it as the default playback, etc. I went to do a uninstall/reinstall of Synapse and just after uninstalling it and restarting my PC, everything worked fine..Steam, Browsers, Skype, etc. I have yet to reinstall Synapse..But with that issue I don't plan to if not needed. Hope this helps.

uncle_meat

Estimable
Mar 5, 2015
I had the same issue - this is how I fixed it.

In the start menu type 'sound', this will give you the option to go to the control panel 'Sound' section.
In there you should see your head phones - if you right click them, you can then set them as the default device.

This worked for me. Good luck.

bloody168

Estimable
Mar 12, 2015
i had the same problem i fixed it by going in task manerger>process and in there was a program called kraken helper ended that task. And sound worked. ps u have to restart programs such as skype to get the sound to work. Problem is now everytime i restart my computer i have to do this.

jfjoao

Estimable
Mar 14, 2015
I had the same problem until I discover that is a new version razer synapse rolling out, I downloaded it and then I did what our friend bloody168, guess what? Worked! Now I can use Razer Synapse with no problems, using all it features!! But wait, before that (before using, and after bloody168's tip) I realized that Razer Synapse mutes the apps at "Mixer" tab, unmuted and, ta dan! Everything is working great!
:D :D :D :D :D
Hope that I helped!!!!
I'm brazilian! Sorry for the bad english... :S

BiscuitEater

Estimable
Apr 8, 2015
This thread was not closed, so I figured I would put in my 2 cents.

After switching Chrome to NOT run in the background, my Krakens suddenly played YouTube and Pandora from the Internet with no problems. Same goes for Steam. Preventing it from running in the background somehow fixes the "only playing System sounds" issue.

This is done after closing the "Kraken Helper" process.

nathanielcs

Estimable
Nov 3, 2014
All I had to do was switch USB ports. But the then YouTube doesn't want to play. Then I switched to another and it worked. So just keep switching USB ports and checking to see if it is the default device and hopefully there is one that works.

Casperikz

Estimable
Aug 20, 2015
Hey guys, i have Razer Kraken Chroma 7.1 too ...and i didn't know why on Google Chrome for example i hear no sound, but when i went to the Razer Synapse --> Mixer...at the application section i saw Google Chrome's sound button turned to mute by default...did you check that?
picture here