Recommend me books for programming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shuin_exe

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
First, I'm glad that im part of tomshardware.com community because I learn more when reading to the users post :D so cheers guys!

as for the topic, my auntie in on Philippines right now and I'm planning to get a book there that about basic programming. My problem is what book should I get first? I didnt go to college to study IT, and etc because of my family problems and then i'm working hard for my self so I can't stay on side of my family :) so guys suggest me some!

Solution
Try this book instead. That 7-in-1 book is a reference, not an actual introduction for beginners to programming and C++.

Here's a few highlights of C++ first (you can get the rest off the Wiki):

- C++ is designed to directly and comprehensively support multiple programming styles (procedural programming, data abstraction, object-oriented programming, and generic programming)
- C++ is designed to give the programmer choice, even if this makes it possible for the programmer to choose incorrectly
- C++ avoids features that are platform specific or not general purpose
- C++ does not incur overhead for features that are not used (the "zero-overhead principle")
- C++ is designed to function without a sophisticated programming...

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Well first off, IT and programming (in my opinion) are two separate fields within the technology world, for the most part.

If you're completely new to programming though, I'd recommend starting with C++. I say that because it's a somewhat easy language to pick up, it's the same language I started with, it's what the majority of colleges teach for their CS degree and the introductory ideas are shared with almost every other language.

As for a book, maybe you should start off with a "C++ for dummies" book. Or you can just get on Amazon.com and search "C++" and read reviews. There are so many out there...

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Try this book instead. That 7-in-1 book is a reference, not an actual introduction for beginners to programming and C++.

Here's a few highlights of C++ first (you can get the rest off the Wiki):

- C++ is designed to directly and comprehensively support multiple programming styles (procedural programming, data abstraction, object-oriented programming, and generic programming)
- C++ is designed to give the programmer choice, even if this makes it possible for the programmer to choose incorrectly
- C++ avoids features that are platform specific or not general purpose
- C++ does not incur overhead for features that are not used (the "zero-overhead principle")
- C++ is designed to function without a sophisticated programming environment

One of the great characteristics about C++ as well is the fact that it's very strict with syntax (grammar). This is an essential habit to learn and adopt very early on as a programmer.

After reading C++ and getting familiar with it, if you want to do more "fun" applications, you can then go to Objective-C, which is the primary language used to write iOS apps (iPhone/iPod/iPad/Mac apps). Not to get too ahead of ourselves here, but it's always good to look down the road a little... ;)

Solution

shuin_exe

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
this is really helpful. Ok I got now the book on amazon.jp then saved on my bookmarks gonna order this asap :D

Oh also can you suggest me a basic book for photoshop?

Zenthar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
As calmstateofmin mentionned, IT and programming are two distincts career paths. IT is more "system integration" and sysadmin as programming is just that, programming (but usually much more complex that what most IT will ever do).

If you want to create applications (programming) you can do C++ or Java, the later is also often use for Web development. You can also learn PHP, HTML, CSS (mostly presentation) and JavaScript for web.

If IT is more your cup of tea, you can start playing with Perl and shell script (BASH and the like) as it's often used to "tie stuff together" and automate tasks.

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009

The best way to learn how to use Photoshop is by playing around with it. Take an image that you want to edit and just fool around with some of the features. Also, there are countless numbers of tutorials online; trying checking out Lynda.

If you're really set on a book though, try O'Reilly. Not sure what version PS you have so I can't recommend a specific book, but give it a look.

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009

Actually, if you want to go into IT, you shouldn't be doing any programming at all starting off. I'd begin studying A+ exam content, and go from there (that's what I did).

Status
Not open for further replies.