Recommendation for hdmi cable of large length

daggs

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
hello
I have a ati gpu that is HDCP Ready and hdmi output.
the comp is 15 meter (50 ft) away from the from the tv, I need a recommendation for a cable that will gives me the best signal quality with affordable price.

also, as far as I understand, 1.3 cables can transmit audio and video together, am I right? also does it sends high quality audio?

thanks

fazers_on_stun

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
Go to http://www.ramelectronics.net/audio-video/hdmi/cables-accessories/c10000-c11600-c11700-p1.html and check out the various links - I'm guessing not even the large-wire-size HDMI cables will work well over such a long distance, so you'll probably need an HDMI extender or amplified cable. Anyway, yes HDMI 1.3 is the minimum you want for Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD master audio which are used on blu-ray IIRC. If you plan on upgrading to 3D in the future, HDMI 1.4 would be necessary.

fazers_on_stun

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
OK, after checking the above site, I see that they have a 50-ft length "high speed" (HDMI 1.4) cable: http://www.ramelectronics.net/audio-video/hdmi/cables-accessories/hdmi-1-4/high-speed-hdmi-cable-with-ethernet/prodHDMI14CAB.html. However I'd call first and see if any extenders are available for HDMI 1.4.

Another advantage of HDMI 1.4 would be redirecting HDTV audio from the TV back to an AV receiver and then out to the AV speakers, instead of the TV speakers. Of course the TV and AV receiver would also have to support that feature. Currently I have an Onkyo receiver that does not, but it does support an optical link as does my Pioneer plasma, so I can still reroute HDTV audio back through my 7.1 audio system, but using a separate fiberoptic cable as opposed to having just one HDMI cable do the trick. Not a big deal since the AV receiver is only about 10 ft. away from the TV set.

daggs

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
thanks for the info, it was very helpful, not sure that I need 1.4, I can take out (when I'll have the receiver) the data with optical cable.
btw, your second link is dead.
so in an essence I can get a 15 meters gold pin cable and an amplifier right?

fazers_on_stun

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006

Personally I'd say 15 meters is really pushing it without an amp, but I'm kinda conservative :p. I do have a 10 meter HDMI 1.3 cable that uses 22 gauge wiring (and is about an inch thick!), that I've used successfully between a DVD player and TV without an extender. However I'd buy the cable and see if it works - if it doesn't, then buy an extender and use that with the same cable.

You can also buy wireless HDMI transceivers but those are gonna cost a lot more.

ScoobyJooby-Jew

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
At that length, you will probably need a booster. I have never run any cable that long. I will say though, I have never seen a difference in Monster HDMI cables and the china made ones. SO just get the longest, cheapest HDMI 1.4 cables you can.

fazers_on_stun

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006

LOL - well I guess the Monster cable wouldn't rust in a damp environment, but you're right - there's no advantage that I've ever seen with such hugely overpriced stuff, except perhaps for the store making a whopping profit on the sale. Best Buy, Radioshack, etc - they all try to steer the hapless sucker - er, customer to the Monster-priced stuff...

A true story involved expert audiophile listeners in a blind test.
They were supposed to pick the monster cable over the 16 gauge speaker wire, by listening to a pair of expensive speakers.
However, just for fun, coat hanger wire was used in the test, along with the monster cable.
The expert listeners, not knowing which wire was being used, picked the coat hanger wire as sounding best.
That's a true story, for your personal amusement.

fazers_on_stun

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
LOL - I've heard that story but never thought it was true..

I once got into a lengthy discussion with a Radio Scrap employee who really wanted to sell me a Monster fiberoptic cable. Told me that with all the extra processing steps & superior materials, the digital signal was less degraded than what I'd get with the 'el-cheapo' cable I was trying to buy, and thus "high fidelity". Tried telling him that high-fidelity or degradation doesn't really matter with digital signals until it reaches a point where the receiving circuitry starts mistaking ones for zeroes and vice versa - i.e., bit loss - and that I really doubted there would be a measurable difference over a 6-ft length. So he gets all huffy and tells me he's just trying to give me his expert advice, to which I replied I have a MSEE degree from an accredited university, and think I know more about the subject than reading the sales blurb.

So I walked out of the store without the cable, drove 6 miles to Best Buy, found out all they had were Monster cables in stock, and then went back to the Shack to buy the 'el-cheapo'. But I waited until the smartass was on break before I went back into the store!! Showed him!! :p