ffranny

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2012
I'm having trouble finding info on exactly the setup I have in mind, so I'm hoping someone here can help.

I currently have a 15-year-old TV, a ReplayTV DVR and Comcast cable/internet service. I would like to downgrade (and eventually get rid of) cable.

In the meantime, I'm thinking that a new (smart?) TV with streaming capability would allow me to watch not just my current cable content, but also anything I can access online, on the TV screen. Am I right so far?

Now, here's the real problem: Wanting to save/record streaming content that may only be available for a limited time, to watch later. How do I do that?

I do not have, nor do I want any sort of gaming device.

I'd like to keep the solution as simple and inexpensive as possible, of course.

Am I looking for something that doesn't exist, or is this possible?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Solution
If a smart TV is your steaming device you may find it impossible to replace your cable channels because most only have specific apps. There are some with browsers installed and some have Roku built in which has more channels. No way to record though unless the TV has that built in. These are very rare.
You could try a computer with Kodi/XBMC installed which has a lot of options for live streaming and does have pvr capability with some set up.
http://kodi.wiki/view/PVR
If you like it Kodi runs on a lot of different platforms so you could simplify the operation when you know it works for you. Free so try it.
If a smart TV is your steaming device you may find it impossible to replace your cable channels because most only have specific apps. There are some with browsers installed and some have Roku built in which has more channels. No way to record though unless the TV has that built in. These are very rare.
You could try a computer with Kodi/XBMC installed which has a lot of options for live streaming and does have pvr capability with some set up.
http://kodi.wiki/view/PVR
If you like it Kodi runs on a lot of different platforms so you could simplify the operation when you know it works for you. Free so try it.

Solution

madbebopper

Commendable
Apr 4, 2016

madbebopper

Commendable
Apr 4, 2016
Thank you americanaudiophile. Yes my Samsung Smart TV is the web browser and there are a few minutes of short video clips on the website that are NOT on youtube. The app for web browser is what the Samsung Smart TV uses to browse the web on the TV.
But, I don't understand what you meant when you say "replace the cable channels" can you explain what you mean? I think that what you are referring to must be the reason I keep recording the cable station no matter what output is selected on the Smart TV when I do my test recordings.