KAZ2870

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016
HP Pavillion - Used recovery media to restore to factory settings due to virus. HDD formatted then went on to install OS, but recovery media was corrupt, now i have no boot drive...please help (windows 8.1)

Solution

I thought you was trying a factory restore from the partition on your HDD , though now you mentioned you did a backup straight away, that suggests that you was using that from dvd or external drive ? that is a called a system restore point. I am sure HP's get shipped with a factory restore on a separate partition on the HDD itself, it won't show in windows. If it has that partition and you can restore from that, problem solved, though any private data will be lost. You can remove the hdd and connect it to another pc as a secondary...

Mark_1970

Estimable
Nov 14, 2015
you will probably need to buy another copy of windows or buy recovery media from HP for that . Is this an older hp that had a previous windows edition on it? If the restore media got corrupt i would be wary about the HDD being sound unless user intervention corrupted it for some reason

KAZ2870

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016

KAZ2870

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016
Thanks Mark. I purchased it with 8.1 pre-installed on it, & recovery software was created straight away, before i even connected to the internet. I'll call HP again and see what they suggest. Cheers

Mark_1970

Estimable
Nov 14, 2015

I thought you was trying a factory restore from the partition on your HDD , though now you mentioned you did a backup straight away, that suggests that you was using that from dvd or external drive ? that is a called a system restore point. I am sure HP's get shipped with a factory restore on a separate partition on the HDD itself, it won't show in windows. If it has that partition and you can restore from that, problem solved, though any private data will be lost. You can remove the hdd and connect it to another pc as a secondary drive and access that data and save it to usb /dvd/etc first if that is a problem though. What model number is yours exactly?

Solution