Reformatting my Laptop via USB flash disk, Doesnt delete old files

nVidea

Estimable
Aug 11, 2014
So my DVD ROM is broken, and my laptop slows down due to numerous downloads and programs. So I decided to reformat it (presently my OS is Windows 7 64-bit). My Laptop is Acer E14.

Every time I turn my laptop on, I cannot seem to find the boot settings, like set my 1st boot to flash drive or CD ROM. So I just clicked the Setup.exe on my flash drive and begun installing the new Windows 7 Ultimate from my USB Flash Drive.

As soon as the installation finished, I found out that my previous files are still there. Pictures, programs, movies, etc.

So I decided to reformat my laptop again. When the Option box appeared, where the partitions are shown, I cannot delete the Drive C and Drive D. My laptop says, if I'm to change any settings on those partitions, I need to restart and boot via the flash drive.

But during the boot, the laptop directly goes to the "welcome" windows, and it doesnt show the BIOS or Boot settings.

How can I reformat my laptop, with all my files wiped clean? How can this laptop boot first via USB Flash drive?

Thanks.

nVidea

Estimable
Aug 11, 2014
I repeatedly press F12 and it does nothing, unlike my desktop. It seems the first window to appear on my laptop is this (After the installation of second Windows 7):

Choose an Operating System to start, or press TAB to select a tool: (Use arrow keys to highlight your choice, then press ENTER)

Windows 7 (My new OS)
Windows 7 (My old OS)

To specify an advanced option for this choice, press F8.
Seconds until the highlight choice will be started automatically: 23

Tools:
Windows Memory Diagnostic

2uibreo.jpg
http://i65.tinypic.com/2uibreo.jpg

Now when I press the F8. This appears:

9rn6mt.jpg
http://i63.tinypic.com/9rn6mt.jpg

It doesnt do anything if I click F12

Did you try using the laptop's recovery partition? I think for Acer it is Alt + F10 at boot up.

Did you make sure your USB disk is bootable?

F12 should have given you a list of all bootable devices you can pick from, if the USB stick is not there, it may not be bootable or was removed from the boot order in the BIOS.

nVidea

Estimable
Aug 11, 2014
Did you try using the laptop's recovery partition? I think for Acer it is Alt + F10 at boot up.

>> Yes I tried it. I searched on the net and I found out same problem with other people. I did a system recovery (just like him) and the Acer eManagement Recovery (which I think is used to reformat an acer laptop) is gone afterwards. I cannot find also the Acer folder which is supposed to be found in start menu.

Did you make sure your USB disk is bootable?

> Yes I used it to reformat my desktop before.

F12 should have given you a list of all bootable devices you can pick from, if the USB stick is not there, it may not be bootable or was removed from the boot order in the BIOS

>> Already did like 10 times sir. The laptop quickly directs to windows screen even though I hit F12 or Alt F10

Try doing a BIOS update on the system, if you still can't get the boot option menu to come up with F12 (make sure you are hitting it early enough) you would need to contact Acer to find out why it's not working, even if the USB stick is not in the list to boot from it should at least stop and ask if you want to select the hard drive or optical drive. Did you check the BIOS for the boot options? I don't remember ever seeing a system that did not have those.