Repair corrupt PST files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronars

Estimable
May 6, 2015
I’m working a project where I am importing Outlook .PST files into an Exchange online archive.

Some of these files are quite large (anywhere from 15 GB – 50 GB in size).

I run this command from the Exchange Management Shell

New-MailboxImportRequest –FilePath opserverPSTFilesmjonesarchive.pst -Mailbox mjones –IsArchive -BadItemLimit 50

and even though this command is set to continue running in the event of failures it still errors out while some PST files are being imported.

This command is customized to point to the correct network path and to import into the correct Exchange account. Furthermore all Exchange and shared folder permissions are correctly set every time that this command is run.

The vast majority of these imports successfully complete but there are a few that always continue to fail.
Repair corrupt PST files
So I will then use the Outlook 2010 scanpst command to repair these PST files. The scanpst command will always say that it has found and fixed errors but when I try to import these PST files again they still continue to error out and don’t completely import into the online archive database.

I will even repair these files two or three times after running an initial scanpst repair of these troublesome PST files. The scanpst command will then say that it hasn’t found any problems with the PST files and then I use the same Exchange Management Console command listed above and the imports will continue to error out at the exact same points.

So what other utilities or methods can I use to repair these kind of troublesome PST files that the Outlook scanpstcommand is unable to repair to the point that these PST files can then be imported into the Exchange online archive?