Replacing a non touch laptop screen with a touch screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

methtrix

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
I have a Dell E7440 laptop (non touch version) and i would really like to know if it is possible to replace its screen with a touch screen of the same model ( E7440 touch model)?
Is there a specific port that is needed to connect the "touch screen sensor" to the motherboard and does the non touch model of the same model posses that port on their mother boards?
If the hardware replacement goes as planned can i simply use those touch E7440 touch screen drivers on this laptop?

I tried looking this up online but Google wasn't helpful. Any opinion is much appreciated. Thank you very much

Solution
I spend a long time in a chat session with Dell sales and finally got the right part number from them. Explaining what I needed was like the classic "Who's on first" skit. LOL. Anyway, the part number for the 1080P, touch panel model is PMJMX. They quoted $459.99 plus shipping so it was just under $500 US. It's a completely sealed top panel unit because the touch digitizer unit and lcd are glued together with a crystal clear UV glue, pretty much identical to the same as smart phones and tablets. One caveat, he wasn't' sure if this unit included a webcam but I can't imagine it not having one. It would be like buying a new car without power stearing. All of that being said, I can't fine this part in the US or eBay. A lot overseas and for...

methtrix

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
thank you for the reply. but i love that IPS 1080p display and would not like to ruin it by putting an overlay. i found some good overlays online but they are bulky and would ruin the entire "ultrabook experience"

can anybody tell be if 1080p ips touch panel of an E7440 would work on a non touch E7440 or not please??

jeff-j

Honorable
Dec 13, 2013
I would say look at ebay or google see if you can find a touch panel and a non touch panel screen and see if their are any additional connectors needed. or if the cable connectors are the same for each panel.

Klaus M

Estimable
Dec 18, 2014
I have a couple of Dell E7440 at work, both with touch and without touch screens. I have tried simply replacing a screen from a non-touch to a touch version - and it works like a charm! However, the hard part is to figure out where you can buy the touch screen unit.. I've asked my local Dell representative, who gave me the price roughly 700USD!!! So unless you can find the unit on ebay or somewhere else, then i can't pay of the exchange the monitor (if you find it somewhere PLEASE let me know :) )

Btw, there is 2 connectors on the monitor -> an LED connector (which i guess goes for the 3 status LEDs); and a big connector which deliver image to the screen (and apparently also the touch signals!)

I've tested this on the Dell WK2DM system board with i7 CPU.

Edit: Oh and btw, that price was excl. local tax (25%)!!!!!

peetor

Estimable
Jan 23, 2015
I spend a long time in a chat session with Dell sales and finally got the right part number from them. Explaining what I needed was like the classic "Who's on first" skit. LOL. Anyway, the part number for the 1080P, touch panel model is PMJMX. They quoted $459.99 plus shipping so it was just under $500 US. It's a completely sealed top panel unit because the touch digitizer unit and lcd are glued together with a crystal clear UV glue, pretty much identical to the same as smart phones and tablets. One caveat, he wasn't' sure if this unit included a webcam but I can't imagine it not having one. It would be like buying a new car without power stearing. All of that being said, I can't fine this part in the US or eBay. A lot overseas and for more money. I did this research because my little daughter stepped on my e7440. The lcd is fine but the glass digitizer broke. Anyhow, good luck!

Solution

Jungstar

Estimable
Apr 26, 2015
This response is more for future googlers. If you model also come with a touch screen, it is pretty likely yes, question is how hard isit? That said, I would google replacement of the screen and especially replacement for the touch screen. I.e. how would you replace the touch screen and compare to replacement of your own. The first I would look for is the connector and the specific screen. At Dell you can search here: http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/partsforyourdell

Look up the touch model., find the touch screen and look for the model screen here: http://www.panelook.com/

Look for the connector part and compare the screens. This should give you a good start. If the connector is different then see if the "other end" is also different. It is quite likely that you can change the screen, but it is also likely that Dell made I harder on purpose, even if up can upload the new drivers, new connection, and new screen.

misuracing

Prominent
Nov 18, 2017
Hello Everybody,

I would have a similar question. I have a non-touch E7440 with a broken LCD cover and a brand new cover that turned out to be designed for the touch screen version. I tried to sell it without any luck and I'm thinking about modifying it to be used instead of the broken one (the unit itself is pretty worn, I just want to make it work). I would like to ask you, is it possible or should I abandon the idea?

http://picpaste.com/IMG_20171104_135848-CaOqnVh2.jpg

Many thanks,

Viktor

COLGeek

Cybernaut

This thread is more than a year old. Start a new thread of your own. You are more likely to get a response that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.