Replacing SSD on a laptop?

jmflu

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
I'm trying to help a friend with his Laptop.

It started crashing a lot in windows and then booting to a "No Boot Device" error so I assume this is the hard drive dying.

I know it currently already has an SSD and my goal is to replace it with a new SSD.

I have two concerns:

1) How hard is this to do in a laptop? I have built a desktop PC but never opened a laptop and wonder what I am getting in to.

2) Would I just buy a regular 2.5 " SSD like for example this sandisk?
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Internal-120GB-2-5-Inch-SDSSDA-120G-G25/dp/B00S9Q9UKS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1450302604&sr=8-2&keywords=120+ssd#Ask

Anythign else I would need to know would be appreciated.

Solution
What is the make and model of the laptop you will be working on?

Some are easier to work on than others. For example, you may have to completely dismantle the laptop to access the HDD bay, or it could be underneath a screwed-in plastic flap on the underside of the laptop.

2.5" drives are what laptops require. All you should need is the drive and the OS to install on it.

I'd shy away from any SSD under 240GB in storage capacity though.

theyeti87

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
What is the make and model of the laptop you will be working on?

Some are easier to work on than others. For example, you may have to completely dismantle the laptop to access the HDD bay, or it could be underneath a screwed-in plastic flap on the underside of the laptop.

2.5" drives are what laptops require. All you should need is the drive and the OS to install on it.

I'd shy away from any SSD under 240GB in storage capacity though.

Solution

Filippo_P

Estimable
Oct 29, 2015
First I'd check if the laptop is still on warranty.

It may be the SSD or it may be the controller. If you have a spare hard drive I'd try with that first (mount it and let it go for a while to see if the error stops happening). If it turns out to be the SSD you replace it... otherwise it's faster to change the laptop.

Most laptops are built to be disassembled if necessary. Unfortunately they are not always easy to disassemble and reach certain components. Still, memory and storage are among the two most easily accessible ones. You can tipically access them either by removing a panel on the back or the keyboard cover, depending on the brand and model.
I suggest you find out what model that laptop is and look for the manuals over the internet. Make sure it's the right manual: sometimes variants of models from the same series have significant chassis differences.