Solved! Replacing the screen in a laptop without a removable battery

Apr 17, 2019
I have a ASUS FX53VD laptop and this thing is a beast. I broke the screen and have ordered the replacement. I've watched a few tutorials and it seems like something I'm capable of. But every tutorial says to disconnect the battery unfortunately this laptop doesn't have a removable battery. So I have two questions.

1) Is it absolutely necessary to disconnect the battery before replacing the screen?

2) Is there some sort of trick that will enable me to do it without having to disassemble my whole laptop to first get to the battery?

I'm fairly technologically adept but this is an expensive laptop and I'm not really looking forward to making more repairs if I mess this up.

I'll take any advice I can!!

Solution
The reason you should disconnect the battery is to prevent the system from turning on by accident or having some power to the motherboard and shorting it out if you touch something. It's not done as a procedure to replace the screen. It's very very good idea to unhook the battery or remove it first but not "needed" to swap the screen. I would not work on a system with the battery connected though, and no real computer tech would.
As far as I know, you do need to remove the battery and in case of that laptop that means taking it apart. They make it that way to keep people from doing the work themselves (among other things).

No one can make you 'not' do it without removing the battery and taking the laptop apart, but it would be wise to do so. Additionally, you may need to do it to make all the connections. It isn't just the physical display connection that needs to be done correctly but also both ends of the cable that connects it to the motherboard.

The reason you should disconnect the battery is to prevent the system from turning on by accident or having some power to the motherboard and shorting it out if you touch something. It's not done as a procedure to replace the screen. It's very very good idea to unhook the battery or remove it first but not "needed" to swap the screen. I would not work on a system with the battery connected though, and no real computer tech would.

Solution