Report: New iPhone will be 4G Verizon Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I don't know whether to believe either carrier's claims about superior 3G coverage. I know there are deficiencies in ATT's coverage. Before switching I would want to do some research to determine the real story behind Verizon's coverage.

Even though ATT is not the best company in the world, there are clues that Verizon might be an even worse company to deal with, such as their overly unfair early termination fee.

G

4g or No, just having 2 different carriers is a huge benefit to the potential customers. ATT sucks in your area, go Verizon, Verizon sucks go ATT.

mwoller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
If you look it up, any benchmark will show you the same thing - AT&T's speed is quite a bit faster than Verizon's and Verizon's coverage is way better than AT&T's.

DaddyW123

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
hell yes!
I know most people on this site bash apple to bits, but I love my iPhone 3G, even more now that it's jailbroke at 3.1.3. The thing I hated most was switching from Verizon of (9 years of loyal verizon service) to AT&T where I dropped more calls in the first two weeks than I did in 9 years on verizon.

Don't get me wrong, I've been wanting to try a droid. But give me a jailbroke iPhone 4G on Verizon and I doubt there's getting much better than that (provided they include flash, and maybe even play cry... :).

G

definently not, the only carrier worse than AT&T is Verizon. Verizon's coverage area (atleast in Texas) is WAY worse than AT&T. I travel to remote places in Texas on a monthly basis and my AT&T phone NEVER loses signal. My coworker has Verizon and he is constantly using my phone. This is a horrible idea, please go back to AT&T for iphones.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Can you intentional misuse established terminology related to your product to mislead people? Calling there device "4G" and making up a new meaning is deceptive. Can an automaker advertise a car as having 550 HP, when what they really mean by HP is "hamster power"?

G

definently not, the only carrier worse than AT&T is Verizon. Verizon's coverage area (atleast in Texas) is WAY worse than AT&T. I travel to remote places in Texas on a monthly basis and my AT&T phone NEVER loses signal. My coworker has Verizon and he is constantly using my phone. This is a horrible idea, please go back to AT&T for iphones.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
I ditched Verizon to get an iPhone from AT&T, but can't really compare the two services, as my iPhone is my first foray into data on a handheld device. However, getting away from Verizon's god-awful customer service was fantastic.

Realistically, I couldn't switch back anyway, as I've still got another year on my AT&T contract, and am in no mood to shell out extra cash for cancellation fees, new activation fees, and another iPhone. In any event, I'm perfectly happy with AT&T's service for the most part. I'd like it if I could tether my iPhone, but all things considered, I've never had any issues with my AT&T coverage that have caused me to consider a different carrier.

I am considering ditching my iPhone altogether for a Droid, though, but that's another story entirely.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
AT&T's speed is not "quite a bit faster." It is slightly faster as in you won't notice much of a difference in speed unless you are running bandwidth benchmarks. The real difference between networks is coverage gaps. AT&T is chock full of them and Verizon is not. I'll gladly take a negligible drop in network speed if I gain network reliability.

I'm not sure I believe this story but I hope it's true. The only thing that was holding me back from wanting the 4th generation iPhone was that I can't stomach spending another 2 years on AT&T's god awful network. If this is a 4g iPhone on Verizon I'm definitely game. We'll have to wait until early June to find out I guess.

SlickyFats

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
I'll be happy when AT&T loses it exclusivity with the iPhone, and I am on AT&T. AT&T is last in terms of new phones (android & palm mostly), and I can only assume its so they won't compete with the iPhone. Until that happy day I will stick with my Bold 9000.

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]4g or No, just having 2 different carriers is a huge benefit to the potential customers. ATT sucks in your area, go Verizon, Verizon sucks go ATT.[/citation]

If Verizon sucks in your area, odds are very strong that AT&T will be even worse...

Personally I'd say no, I'm going to go with an Android phone still.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]Can you intentional misuse established terminology related to your product to mislead people? Calling there device "4G" and making up a new meaning is deceptive. Can an automaker advertise a car as having 550 HP, when what they really mean by HP is "hamster power"?[/citation]

Per say it was the BMW 550HP then it would be fine, its suggestive of 550 Horse Power, BUT any informed customer or potential customer would quickly find out it's not the case. It would only be "bad" for the company if the details of it's HP were hidden or concealed.

The idea of "2G" (or any other number) meaning generation is a longstanding Apple naming scheme and doesn't specifically mean it's going to be a 4G data phone, however I would be dissapointed if there was no competition for the EVO.

insider3

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Can't wait for the new Verizon vs AT&T commercials. First the Coverage maps, next will be the "We have the best coverage and your best phone now what?"

JerseyFirefighter

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Everyone buy the iphone... keep apple on it's power trip, then some other guy will come along, open source of course, and will provide breakthroughs that apple will not allow. Piss the consumer off knowing no matter how wonderful their phone is, they will never get the apps and abilities that apple wont allow. Then the house of apples will come crumbling down (Jobs landing on his big ol pile of money to cushion the fall)

Status
Not open for further replies.