Review blocked sign-in attempt Google.

kol12

Estimable
Jan 26, 2015
This email doesn't make sense to me, it says: (mygmail being my gmail account and familymember being their gmail account.)

"You received this message because mygmail@gmail.com is listed as the recovery email for familymember@gmail.com. (that's OK) If familymember@gmail.com is not your Google Account, click here to disconnect from that account and stop receiving emails."

The first thing that doesn't make sense is, if familymember@gmail.com is not your Google Account, click here to disconnect from that account and stop receiving emails.

Well no familymember@gmail.com is not my google account but why should I disconnect from it when I am the recovery email address?

It then says:

"Hi Familymember,
Google just blocked someone from signing into your Google Account familymember@gmail.com from an app that may put your account at risk.
Less secure app
Tuesday, September 6, 2016 11:15 AM (Indochina Time)
Thailand*"

Hi Familymember? I am not the family member... and Thailand? What's that about?

This email seems back to front, I think the familymember was meant to receive this instead?

Solution
Yeah it didn't! What's best is to change the apssword (which you might already have done it) and check for any emails about any apps request or similar things which you didn't do yourself. Hopefully it will set everything up for you. Also note that you must change your passwords on weekly or at least monthly basis to keep it extra secure from such cases!

Seankay

Commendable
Jul 20, 2016
I think Google is treating your account (recovery email) as a second account for the familymember account (original account). It seems that either your family member visited Thailand or used a VPN to change the IP address which made gmail believe that it is unauthorized sign in. So, it informed you (on the recovery email). Cause the original account is in talk and it is the one which apparently had an unauthorized sign-in attempt from Thailand.
So, the only credible option to contact the owner of the email address is the Recovery email!

kol12

Estimable
Jan 26, 2015

Ah very clever, I think your right.

The part "if familymember@gmail.com is not your Google Account, click here to disconnect from that account and stop receiving emails."

That should mean if it was an account that I didn't recognize right?

When they say Google just blocked *someone* from signing into your Google Account who are they referring to? The family member or someone who might have their login details?

I don't think this family member knows how to use a VPN, is it saying that someone from Thailand tried to log into family members account from an insecure app?

Seankay

Commendable
Jul 20, 2016
Exactly, if you don't recognize the account then you disconnect it and google will discount your email address as the recovery one for the main email.

They can be your family member, someone else with credentials, or some app which has been given the rights by your family member. Google thinks this someone is unauthorized cause it is accessing it from Thailand, but originally you guys are not in Thailand and don't access the account from over there.

kol12

Estimable
Jan 26, 2015

So the app that my FM logged into made Google think they were logging in from Thailand? What sort of app would do that? Is there anything suspicious going on here?

Seankay

Commendable
Jul 20, 2016

It is not necessary that it is specifically the same app that it tricking google. But if you didn't have any issue before using this app then most probably it is the problem!
I don't particularly think that it is suspicious if it is a credible app and not a duplicate of what you were looking for! Still if you have a slight doubt, then I would suggest not to use this one and go for a better more authentic one.

kol12

Estimable
Jan 26, 2015

I sometimes use the family member's laptop, mainly for help and setting things up. It's possible I might of logged them into an app but I've no idea now which app it might of been to cause the above email.

If I look back over the email it says, "Google just blocked someone from signing into your Google Account familymember@gmail.com from an app that may put your account at risk."

So it must not of actually logged anyone in? :??:

Seankay

Commendable
Jul 20, 2016
Yeah it didn't! What's best is to change the apssword (which you might already have done it) and check for any emails about any apps request or similar things which you didn't do yourself. Hopefully it will set everything up for you. Also note that you must change your passwords on weekly or at least monthly basis to keep it extra secure from such cases!

Solution