ROG G751JT Freezes and Powers off when adapter is unplugged

Stephen Hart

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013
I have a used G751JT Laptop that has recently had it's battery replaced and a new power supply. It's run like a champ the whole time. Recently, in the last day or two, it will freeze after a short while, and nothing fixes it short of a hard power off or literally pulling the adapter.

No logs pointing to what the problem is, no specific programs which are running when it happens, and memory and hard drive tests come up clear.

Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
500GB Samsung Evo 850 SSD
1TB HDD (unknown make)
Steam
Office 2016
Adobe CS6 MC
various other games

I am stumped as to what to do, recommendations would be appreciated.

Have you tested the system for viruses and malware? That would be my first place to check. Then also check for anything running that doesn't need to be from start up. That can use up resources which can cause freezing. Also, clear your temp files and other junk (through Disk Cleanup) and then clear up your browser history and cache (make sure you save anything you want/need first).

Stephen Hart

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013

After some sleuthing, I discovered that two sticks of ram out of the 4 were running over voltage. 1.35v per stick is recommended but I had 2 8gb sticks pulling 1.5v and that was causing the issue. I removed them, unfortunately after I reinstalled windows, and everything was okay. Thanks for the advice.