Question ROG Strix Scar II microphone issues

Jan 12, 2020
I bought an ASUS Strix Scar II a few months ago and it had some audio issues such as randomly quieting when played through the laptop's speakers. I tried to fix this by installing drivers but to no avail. I normally use headphones, so this hasn't been much of a problem for me. However, I recently tried to use a microphone, and it was completely undetected. The built-in microphone was also undetected and I once again tried to install audio drivers but I'm just completely clueless as to what the problem could be.
Please could someone help me!

If your microphone isn't working, try the following...
  1. Go to "Control Panel".
  2. Click on "Sound".
  3. Click the "Recording" tab.
  4. Click on the device you are trying to fix.
  5. Now click the "Configure" button and then click "Set up Microphone".
  6. Once that is complete, click the "Properties" button.
  7. When you are done with your changes, in "Properties", click "Apply" and then "OK".
  8. Then click "OK", again, on the main "Sound window".
You may also need to, if the device doesn't show in the "Recording" tab, right click on the empty space in the background of that tab window and make sure both boxes are checked.

NOTE: If the device is new, and still gives you problems after trying all of the above, I would either contact the seller (if within return date) or the manufacturer about the problem (including the speakers) as no new device should give you any problems.

Jan 12, 2020
Thanks for your reply!
Unfortunately it doesn't appear in that list. There was one option "Realtek Microphone" but no audio is picked up with it. Is the only option really just to send it back? I'm pretty sure it's beyond the return date

Did you do as mentioned and 'right click' on the empty background portion of that window while in that tab and make sure both options were checked? And, of course, the microphone would have to be plugged in at the time.

Now if you are talking a headset with a microphone attached, that is different.

Jan 12, 2020
I have a headset that isn't detected, but it doesn't even detect the laptop's in-built one. I tried right clicking but I had already checked both options.

Then if you just bought this device, new, and it is not working properly, you need to either take it back and exchange it for another one, or if past the return/exchange date contact the manufacturer about a repair/replacement. No new device should have such problems.