nxindy89

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014
Roku streaming stick works fine on TV. When plugged into Yamaha AVR HDMI port all Roku menus are visible on TV. Looks like it's working fine until you try to actually watch any show or movie. Does not seem to advance to buffering spinner. Roku was registered while attached directly to Bravia TV. Could this be a registration issue? The older Yamaha AVR and Bravia do not seem to be ARC compliant. Currently running Stick in TV and using optical cable to Yamaha but not the optimal situation and need an answer for future. The placement of Roku stick with regard to wifi signal is only 18" compared to back of AVR vs. Back of TV so I don't think it's a bandwidth issue. Finally, When attached to AVR the "clicks" from the Roku remote can also be heard through home theatre, it just won't play any shows, period.

That's a really odd problem.
Can you try using the Roku stick on a different TV? That would tell you if there is some issue with the device it was connected to when registered. Since you can see and hear the output of the Roku the receiver seems to be doing what it's supposed to. It should not affect how the Roku goes online. Maybe you can reset the Roku or just try rebooting it while connected to the receiver.
You might post your problem on a Roku forum. If you get an answer please post it here too.

nxindy89

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014

Yeah thanks friend. Client doesn't have another TV around with HDMI but we can try it on just an LG display. Should work right? I'm also wondering if it could be a resolution pass-through issue in the receiver. It is a little old but I don't think 1080 should be a problem. For example, the Roku menu interface having a lower resolution than the actual shows, but it really doesn't even seem like it's trying to work on showing a video. I'm working on getting the receivers model number and checking with Yamaha.

Kind of a noob to Roku in general, don't own one. But I noticed on the box it expressly states "PORTABLE" which to me insinuates you could take it with you somewhere or plug it into a borrowed display or hotel tv etc. as long as you had the network available and account password. Meaning that a device MAC address or IP address should be irrelevant. Is that an incorrect assumption?