Solved! Running out of ideas with my hp ze 1000 laptop

jacewhite

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
The guy I bought this from reformatted the XP Home Edition to Ubuntu. After I bought it from him I reformatted back to XP. The problem is that now it wont boot past the windows logo. So I tried different HD same problem. Ordered the original HP recovery disc and set it back to factory settings only to still have the same problem. I'm thinking MB but I tested it at the guys house and it worked with Ubuntu. Any ideas would be appreciated.

frozenlead

Distinguished
The hard disk diagnostic you used should offer you the option of writing the disk over with 0's. This may solve the problem (low chance, but maybe). It will destroy all of your data, however.

Edit: That error doesn't necessarily mean the disk is bad, it simply means that a component is operating abnormally. Depending on the failure and how the disk is used, you may not notice. For more information:
http://www.hitachigst.com/downloads/dft32_user_guide.pdf

G

Will it boot in Windows Safe Mode (press F8 as Windows starts) ? May be a video problem.

jacewhite

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
I try to boot in safe mode but after showing list of drivers its installing it never boots it just sits there. It does have a diagnostic tool that I used at start up to test hardrive, memory, and cpu. Says that all my hardware tests fine. I have a feeling it has something to do with the bios. I was hoping that safe mode with networking would work so that I could go to the website and update bios but nothing.

jacewhite

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
ran the memtest. everything passed. ran hard drive test this is what i got:

Technical Result Code

Drive Information
Serial Number KBCZWUDJ

FAILURE CODE : 0x75 - Defective Device. Component Failure.

Technical Result Code (TRC)

Any Ideas?

frozenlead

Distinguished
The hard disk diagnostic you used should offer you the option of writing the disk over with 0's. This may solve the problem (low chance, but maybe). It will destroy all of your data, however.

Edit: That error doesn't necessarily mean the disk is bad, it simply means that a component is operating abnormally. Depending on the failure and how the disk is used, you may not notice. For more information:
http://www.hitachigst.com/downloads/dft32_user_guide.pdf

jacewhite

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
So I talked to Hitachi support they said that the trc code means that the hard drive is defective because of a component in the hard drive itself. Looks like i am looking for a new hard drive. Hopefully that fixes the problem. Thanks for your help frozenlead i will keep you posted on my progress.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Laptop Tech Support 0
C Laptop Tech Support 1
N Laptop Tech Support 0
Navneet Gautam Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 2
R Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 0
Sickingduck Laptop Tech Support 0
serenityzero Laptop Tech Support 4
I Laptop Tech Support 2
M Laptop Tech Support 0