Samsung Galaxy On5 - Setting a microSD card as default storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomavella

Commendable
Aug 20, 2016
Just got this phone and can't figure out how to set my 64GB microSD card to be the default internal storage. I've read that when you insert the card, a notification should appear that says "set up" or something, but all I can do is open the card in My Files. When I look at the card in storage settings, all I can do is "unmount" or "format," neither of which do anything. I can't even transfer apps to the SD card by hitting "change" because that button doesn't appear in the app manager. Incredibly confused.

Well it is going to depend on a few things. One, which version of Android you are running. If you are running anything less than "Marshmallow" then you won't be able to set the SD card as the default location for downloads and apps.

Now if you are running "Marshmallow", or you can upgrade to it, then the only other reason it would not work is that the manufacturer would have restricted that option on the device. Which does happen.

Check your OS version first. If it isn't "Marshmallow" see if you can upgrade to it. If you can, then you will need to start with a blank SD card. Why? Because changing the card to "Internal" storage will format and encode the card. Effectively wiping anything already on it, and making the cards data inaccessible in other devices.

If it lets you upgrade the OS, then try the following...

How to turn external SD card into internal storage on "Marshmallow".

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your phone.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the phone, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

thomavella

Commendable
Aug 20, 2016

Okay, turns out the problem is that the On5 doesn't have adoptable storage as a feature. Had to enable it with Root Essentials. I really wish I knew that before going in but I think I've circumvented the issue.

imthejoat

Commendable
Aug 28, 2016

How did you Root your ON5?
Thanks

imthejoat

Commendable
Aug 28, 2016
but you stated that you used "Root Essentials " on an On5. That apk only works with a rooted device. Just wondering how you used "Root Essentials"
Thank You.

vilma0001

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016

thomavella...I have tried and tried Root Essentials on my T-Mobile rooted On5 but after completing the process and reboot the process did not work..all stays the same..How were you able to make it work?

Jassyjazz89

Commendable
Sep 12, 2016
Go to settings tap on about device then click on build number 7X until developer options are available then click on 2 developer options and make sure this setting is on. Now go to Applications and then click on 2 application manager then click on the app you wish to transfer 2 SD card storage and also be able to control the excess of each app as well AZ cleaning all caches hope this helps

LV_Streeter

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016
I do have Developer options enabled but this Galaxy On5 does not offer a move to SD card option I had to root the phone and install Lucky Patcher and use it to move apps to SD card

Jassyjazz89

Commendable
Sep 12, 2016
It shows only under certain apps ive seen. I was able to transfer facebook, Instagram.. and some other apps that can use up memory.. have you tryed tapping different apps in application manger. Hopes this helps

hannahharris597

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016

Thanks! This helped me.

Status
Not open for further replies.