Samsung Hits Out at Apple with Galaxy Note Super Bowl Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
I wonder how effective this type of advertising is.

Most anti-Apple people seem to be anti-Apple...not anti-apple, pro [any given manufacturer, like Samsung]. They want the best...or the most affordable...or the best value buy.

So it seems like Apple's advertising is more direct...thus, likely more effective, than Samsung's.

That said, this type of advertisement does little to entice me. I think of it as resources better spend on customer discounts or even stockholder dividends. Can't say I'm the average purchaser, though.

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
First, the ad made me laugh, which is good. It made fun of a serious rival, which doesn't hurt. So, I think it makes it memorable. Effective? That remains to be seen.

As a tech news junkie, it struck me as a slap back at Apple over the injunctions they've used. This rivalry seems to be getting serious - almost as good as sports team rivalries,

But how do you keep score?

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
I'm not a die-hard Apple or Samsung fan, I've had problems with both. The ad however was pretty well-done. I figured with all the bickering between the two tech companies in real life, there was bound to be something more in the Superbowl ad after the "preview" one they recently aired. I didn't know they'd go after them that hard. They clearly aimed at and singled out Apple entirely with this commercial. Entertainment wise, I have to say it was pretty good.

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
[citation][nom]g-thor[/nom]But how do you keep score?[/citation]

It could either be:

- Quarter earnings (on each phone division, that is).
- Millions of phones activated.
- Millions of phones sold.

I think making it longer (the Ad) was good, but I missed a lil' more direct poking and less fuzzy funky party... Wait, why did I said that? Oh, Jeez!

Anyway, loving my S2 and waiting for a better product (S3, maybe) or skip till "S4" arrives and cooks dinner for me.

Cheers! xD

kansur0

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
I think they are just jealous because nobody lines up for a Samsung...so they attacked the lineup. I have to line up for a sandwich every day. That doesn't mean I am going to go to another sandwich lineup when I don't like a sandwich you have to eat with a fork (stylus). Kinda the reason why everyone is standing in line. They like that particular sandwich. Doesn't mean it is necessarily "better". The day a sandwich drops from the sky and turns my sad face into a happy face is the day I will enjoy this commercial. :/

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Don't care about ads. I only care about OS features, specs, and quality components. When Samsung used inferior audio/headphone chip in Galaxy S II it was a huge let down for me, which forced me to stay with the original Galaxy S. Is Samsung stupid enough to repeat this with Galaxy S III? We'll wait and see.

G

The fact that they were touting a stylus as an awesome feature saddens me. When I ditched my Treo and its stupid stylus I was a very happy man.

jaquith

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
I thought the 'pen' was dead.

I had a 'pen' back in the Pocket PC day, and it was a love/hate thing. Fundamentally, all I care about is does the phone work, how easy is it to work, and the information I need. My wife loves her Droid 3 (keyboard + nails = must), and my daughter and I the iPhone.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I hear this phone will be released on Verizon soon as the DROID GALAXY JOURNAL, near the summertime. I'll probably be a first day buyer. I just am concerned about the battery life due to the increase in the size. The size is perfect for me. If only this phone, and the DROID RAZR MAXX would get married...that would be so awesome.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]brandoncatz[/nom]Yes, because we all want devices that utilize a pen/stylus...I liked their previous ads, despite being an iPhone user, but I thought this one was the weakest yet, compounded by the fact that there is a die hard Apple fanboy stating "it has a pen" with extreme awe and not disgust.[/citation]

anyone with bigger fingers would take a "pen" over out fingers any day.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Yes iCrappies are a bad case of the Zombies. Poor souls; there is really no excuse
for being that ignorant in the midst of the information age.

xellow

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
The ad campaign probably won't be that effective and is a bit immature.
It may serve best to excite the 'like-minded immature' for throwing a punch at apple and nothing more; An attempt that is a flying whiff in my opinion. Stylus Pen, Really? That will show them who's boss and give them reason to party! Not going to happen, sorry Samsung.

Status
Not open for further replies.