Samsung J6300 75" smart tv on antenna to ONKYO 7.1 channel receiver

Scott E

Commendable
Dec 6, 2016
I'm running a digital optical audio output cable to my onkyo receiver from my samsung smart tv which is on over the air antenna.

The center channel and subwoofer seem to be working great but i'm getting almost no output of the rear channels. I was watching football, usually i can hear the crowd from the rear speakers.

thanks

Solution
Check the TV audio menu and make sure it is set to surround sound not stereo.
Turning the surround speakers up won't give you more surround sound just louder surround sound when there is surround content. You can try different a different surround mode that will give you more content on the rears.
1. Make sure the TV broadcast station is sending you a Dolby Digital signal, and the Onkyo display should verify this.
2. Modern AV Surround receivers let you TRIM each set of speakers, so you can independently up/down the loudness of the surrounds, what is stopping you? Does your Onkyo has an automated room EQ to set the loudness of the speakers and set a BASE?

Check the TV audio menu and make sure it is set to surround sound not stereo.
Turning the surround speakers up won't give you more surround sound just louder surround sound when there is surround content. You can try different a different surround mode that will give you more content on the rears.

Solution