Solved! Samsung J7 Sky Pro. How to use the SD card as internal or how to force apps from internal to SD

Oct 13, 2020
This question was asked before. I've seen the response and it doesn't work. I want to listen to more solutions. I can't believe there is no way to use the SD card as internal memory!!

The solution I read was going to the SD settings and format as internal. I don't have that option. I can only format the SD as external storage.

Reactions: dwitehawk
Solution
Thank you Diesel, you captured my thoughts very well when I read the "What are you actually trying to accomplish that requires more internal memory? " This is not a solution, but an arrogant attitude.
Not at all. Just trying to understand your needs. Good luck.

The ability to extend internal memory is not universal. Also, many apps may not support. In addition, SD storage is much slower than conventional internal memory.

All this aside, I would imagine that many cell providers disallow this feature in their OS configs. You may have to consider rooting your phone to gain this ability. Just something to think about.

Searching on the topic yields mixed results, with the current most info I came across the least promising for a...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
This question was asked before. I've seen the response and it doesn't work. I want to listen to more solutions. I can't believe there is no way to use the SD card as internal memory!!

The solution I read was going to the SD settings and format as internal. I don't have that option. I can only format the SD as external storage.
You can't do this because the phone has internal memory. What are you actually trying to accomplish that requires more internal memory?

mejustsayin

Commendable
Oct 11, 2020

don't know what instructions you tried to follow but generally if the instructions failed, then you will not be able to move the apps.

Oct 13, 2020
You can't do this because the phone has internal memory. What are you actually trying to accomplish that requires more internal memory?
I receive messages that the internal storage memory is full all the time. I've checked the available storage and in the breakdown of how the memory is allocated it shows that this is not true. The total is 16GB, but by adding up the total of documents, pictures, etc, does add less than half of that size. I have moved everything that can be moved (which is NOT much) to the SD card and I wiped the cache, still, the available storage is negligible.

Oct 14, 2020
Uh. What? My Galaxy S7 Edge had "internal memory" and was completely capable of adopting an external SD card as internal storage. Recently, however I, like, the OP, have tried to adopt the external SD of my Galaxy Note 8 as internal/native storage using instructions posted on this website, but the instructions refer to what appears to be an obsolete option: "Format as internal." Our only option now appears to be "Format SD card," after which the SD is formatted, empty, and still recognized as external. So is there any option/method for forcing newer android devices to ADOPT an SD card as internal storage, as was possible on older android devices, such as the S7 Edge?

Oct 14, 2020
Uh. What? My Galaxy S7 Edge had "internal memory" and was completely capable of adopting an external SD card as internal storage. Recently, however I, like, the OP, have tried to adopt the external SD of my Galaxy Note 8 as internal/native storage using instructions posted on this website, but the instructions refer to what appears to be an obsolete option: "Format as internal." Our only option now appears to be "Format SD card," after which the SD is formatted, empty, and still recognized as external. So is there any option/method for forcing newer android devices to ADOPT an SD card as internal storage, as was possible on older android devices, such as the S7 Edge?
And before you ask, I use my internal storage for apps. And before you instruct me to do so, I DO move my apps to external storage whenever possible (many apps can't be moved), and this is a non-solution, as every time the apps need to be updated, they move themselves back to internal storage and I run out of space again. The solution to a storage capacity problem is not "well what do you need that much storage for anyway?" That's a non-solution.

Reactions: suivanova
Oct 13, 2020
And before you ask, I use my internal storage for apps. And before you instruct me to do so, I DO move my apps to external storage whenever possible (many apps can't be moved), and this is a non-solution, as every time the apps need to be updated, they move themselves back to internal storage and I run out of space again. The solution to a storage capacity problem is not "well what do you need that much storage for anyway?" That's a non-solution.

Thank you Diesel, you captured my thoughts very well when I read the "What are you actually trying to accomplish that requires more internal memory? " This is not a solution, but an arrogant attitude.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Not at all. Just trying to understand your needs. Good luck.

The ability to extend internal memory is not universal. Also, many apps may not support. In addition, SD storage is much slower than conventional internal memory.

All this aside, I would imagine that many cell providers disallow this feature in their OS configs. You may have to consider rooting your phone to gain this ability. Just something to think about.

Searching on the topic yields mixed results, with the current most info I came across the least promising for a solution.

Solution