Samsung laptop sometimes not find hdd and clicking

justaq

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016
Hi guys!

I have a Samsung 300e laptop. Few weeks ago a problem occured... Sometimes when I turn the machine on, instead of booting up the system it's clicking (from around the hdd) and after some try it says "All boot options are tried..." the point is that it couldn't find a device to boot from. I've checked in the BIOS... and when this occurs the computer not see the HDD.
The strange thing is that sometimes it does..for example now I writing by it. I've already checked the hard drive health with HD Sentinel and it is said that the condition is 100%....
If somebody have any suggestions what could be the problem... It's really annoying to depend on the mood of my laptop... from now I have no idea if its a hardware or a boot option problem... pls help.

Solution
Justaq - I had an issue once where the laptop would not boot every once in a while and when I looked in the BIOS it would not show the hard drive. I would mess with it, taking the drive out and scanning it, testing it, etc. and everything passed. Then it would start working again and I'd send it back to the customer. Did this a couple times and it always came back within a month with the same problem, and finally the last time I got it back there was nothing I could do to get it to boot again. It just would not recognize the drive. I could take the same drive and install it in another laptop and it booted perfectly every time. So I thought it must be a problem with the laptop. So I tried another drive and guess what, it worked perfectly...

BadAsAl

Distinguished
First off make sure you backup all your data before you go any further.
Then you can test the hard drive using Seatools for Windows or use Seatools for DOS to test it before you boot into Windows. Whichever you use start with the 2 short tests and then run the long test. Any errors means the drive is failing.
CrystalDiskInfo is also a good one to see if the drive is reporting errors.
If the drive checks out okay after that then we can look at other possible causes.

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Welcome to the community, @justaq!

I'd second @BadAsAl's suggestion and advise you to backup all your important data from your laptop somewhere off-site ASAP. The clicking noises coming from the hard drive could be indicating internal hardware failure, which is something that cannot be fixed. Test the HDD using your brand-specific HDD diagnostic utility as well, after backing up your files. Unfortunately, sometimes software tools are unable to detect hardware problems, though.
If your laptop is still covered by the warranty, contact the manufacturer's customer support for assistance. They should be able to RMA your notebook & replace the failed component.

Keep us posted with the troubleshooting!
SuperSoph_WD

justaq

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016
Hi guys!

Thank for your reply @SuperSoph_WD, your welcome! Unfortunately this laptop not covered with warranty, so its not the way.
I've checked the driver with the tools @BadAdAl mentonied, both showed positiv results (crystaldisk info said it's condition is 'good', the driver passed by several tests.
From now I am pretty sure what could be the problem! I took the drive off the computer, plugged it in an usb transformer, and used it as an external to another laptop. The laptop did not showed up anything, and the drive started clicking.....
I guess it's internal reading problem. (I plugged another hdd to my laptop without system on it but bios saw it unlike my hdd.)
Now it's working, and I write from it, this is the funny part (and what I can not understand at all). The question is: should I buy another one or it possibly can be fixed by an IT workshop?

BadAsAl

Distinguished
Justaq - I had an issue once where the laptop would not boot every once in a while and when I looked in the BIOS it would not show the hard drive. I would mess with it, taking the drive out and scanning it, testing it, etc. and everything passed. Then it would start working again and I'd send it back to the customer. Did this a couple times and it always came back within a month with the same problem, and finally the last time I got it back there was nothing I could do to get it to boot again. It just would not recognize the drive. I could take the same drive and install it in another laptop and it booted perfectly every time. So I thought it must be a problem with the laptop. So I tried another drive and guess what, it worked perfectly and never gave me another problem in the last year.

So it just appeared as if that hard drive just didn't like that particular laptop, I never did figure out why. So if you can, try a different hard drive, I have a bunch laying around so this is easy for me.

Solution

deniru90

Commendable
Oct 26, 2016
Run diagnostic check on your hard drive and check for errors. If possible, take backup before initiating anything. I would suggest you do not try anything new, as you have mentioned sometimes it get recognized and whenever it did. Try not to write anything on it if you want to keep your data safe, try to find out the error message it shows.

justaq

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016
Hi guys!

To be a little more up-to-date I just wanna tell you that I could finally run the long generic test (via seatools) and the drive passed... the last 2-3 startup was perfect.. still no idea what going on.