Samsung LCD TV has sound and picture, but no backlights!

Nick_182

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017
I have a 52" Samsung LCD TV.

When I turn on my TV I can hear sound, and when I shine a light at the screen I can see a picture. The problem is the backlight doesn't come on at all.

I am trying to determine which of these boards is causing the problem:
- Backlight Inverter Board
- Power Supply Board

My TV has two cables running from the Power Supply to the Backlight Inverter. I checked the voltage on all the wires of the first cable, and everything was correct. The second cable has two wires (pink/white) and the voltage is supposed to be 920v~ 210mA. When I measure, I get 0.

I have another very similar model 55" Samsung TV with the same pink/white cable connecting from the Power Supply to the Backlight Inverter (the only difference is that the 55" is 970v~ and the 52" is 920v~)

I wanted to see what would happend if I connected the pink/white cable from the working 55" TV's Power Supply to the broken 52" TV's Backlight Inverter.

After the cables were connected, I turned on both TVs and the 52" TV backlight TURNED ON FOR A SPLIT SECOND then turned off! I tried restarting the TV's two more times and the same thing happened!

I believe this is because the Backlight Inverter Board got a voltage over 920v~ and automatically shutdown.

So is the problem with my TV the BACKLIGHT INVERTER or POWER SUPPLY?

Everything else on my TV works: sound, lcd pixels, remote, buttons, etc. The only issue is the backlight.

Nick_182

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017
Update: I plugged BOTH backlight inverter cables into the 55" TV and my broken TV WORKED! So the issue definitely is the power supply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nick_182

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017
Update: I plugged BOTH backlight inverter cables into the 55" TV and my broken TV WORKED! So the issue definitely is the power supply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sissykick

Prominent
Aug 29, 2017
So the 2 wires from the power board didn't have voltage? I figure the transformers on the board was at fault...correct. when you said the high voltage cables, pink and white, where the high voltage wire correct? Did you have to buy a new power board?

Nick_182

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017

Hey lisa, what is your tv model?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Streaming Video & TVs 5
R Streaming Video & TVs 1
Z Streaming Video & TVs 3
D Streaming Video & TVs 3
N Streaming Video & TVs 1
F Streaming Video & TVs 1
G Streaming Video & TVs 5