Samsung NP300E5A CPU upgrade?

PandaLion98

Estimable
Nov 1, 2014
My laptop currently has an i3-2350M processor and it's really slowing down, especially with Android Studio. I already tore down the laptop twice to clean it up but still the same. At that time, I found out that the CPU was removable. So, I was thinking maybe I could upgrade that to an i7-2640M or 2620M. They have the same TDP (35w), same socket (G2), and both support Intel HM-65 Chipset. I'm just worried about BIOS support and such. I'm also worried about purchasing the wrong one (I have an extremely tight budget :wahoo:) Should I go for it? If so, which one?

Here is the confirmed working i7-2620M which is HM65 compatible on ebay.
Here is the unconfirmed i7-2640M on ebay.

Solution
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1719163/laptop-upgrade.html

Processor upgrades on notebooks are uncommon as the manufacturers in general do not upgrade the bios for the motherboard. Therefore, even though a faster cpu may physically fit into the socket, the MB will not recognize it, and the computer will not work.

I attached a relevant discussion from TH in the link above.

Especially with tight funds, I would not buy a new cpu that may not even work, and instead put the funds towards a faster machine when you save up enough.

digitaldoc

Distinguished
Herald
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1719163/laptop-upgrade.html

Processor upgrades on notebooks are uncommon as the manufacturers in general do not upgrade the bios for the motherboard. Therefore, even though a faster cpu may physically fit into the socket, the MB will not recognize it, and the computer will not work.

I attached a relevant discussion from TH in the link above.

Especially with tight funds, I would not buy a new cpu that may not even work, and instead put the funds towards a faster machine when you save up enough.

Solution

PandaLion98

Estimable
Nov 1, 2014

I agree. I think I'll save up for a decent machine. The risks outweigh the benefits too much.