Samsung Series 7 Chronos HDD replacement compatibility

xProg660

Estimable
May 13, 2015
I've recently acquired a Samsung Series 7 Chronos laptop with a bad HDD (I've run all the necessary tests to narrow it down to a hard drive failure).

I tried to replace the stock 1TB HDD with an SSD I bought for replacement, but after installing the SSD, the laptop does not POST. The Samsung logo comes up and the lights come on as if the laptop is about to boot up, but then the screen turns off and the power lights go off and the back-light for the F12 key comes on and then the machine restarts and loops the same thing again.

Any ideas about why this could be happening? The manual doesn't say anything about the F12 key being an error light. I'm thinking it might be bad RAM, but I'm not entirely sure the computer would be acting this way if that was the case.

Please forgive me if the solution is obvious.

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Do a hard reboot first, remove the battery and unplug the AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds then try booting it up again.
- Boot the laptop again and load into BIOS, make sure to set either the USB or DVD drive depending to what you'll use to reinstall the OS.
- If it will still shutdown by itself, turn off the laptop again then make sure that the SSD you purchased is seated properly inside the laptop.
- Do try installing the OS again after making sure that the SSD is seated properly and see if the same problem will persist or not.

Hopefully this troubleshooting steps will help. :)

xProg660

Estimable
May 13, 2015

Thanks for the quick reply! I just tried these steps and it did not fix the problem, although the laptop does boot from USB devices without issue. I'm starting to think it's something specific with the SSD I'm using. Maybe the Sandforce controller? I'm going to try and get a replacement drive of the same type as the stock 1TB one and see what happens.