Samsung SmartTV Netflix isn't working

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bake85

Estimable
Mar 9, 2014
I have a Samsung Model UN55F6300 SmartTV. About 3 days ago Netflix stopped running, and I have not been able to resolve it. When I click on the App, it just goes to a black screen and nothing responds. Any thoughts?

Solution
Try disabling Samsung Instant On. I found it in the general settings. Resetting the Smart Hub didn't fix anything for me, but as soon as I disabled this and powered the tv off and on again the Netflix app immediately launched correctly.

astoria3

Estimable
Jul 12, 2015
I have a Samsung LED Series 5 model UN40EH5300F and for the past couple weeks I have NOT been able to play anything on Netflix. I can open Netflix just fine, I just can't play any titles without getting the "Netflix playback experiencing issues right now. Please try again later or visit www.netflix.com/playbackhelp" tvp-805 error alert. I have tried at all times of the day on various titles, thinking that perhaps its was just a matter of too many users at the time time. Netflix on my computer works just fine. I went to the netflix website and followed all of their suggestions and then some. I have tried:

-Unplugging the tv while it is on, waiting 10 seconds, plugging back in
-Logging out/back into Netflix
-Reinstalling Netflix
-Completely restarting Smart Hub to factory settings and then downloading Netflix
-Changing the DNS to 8.8.8.8
-Changing the DNS to 0.0.0.0, then going back to automatic DNS

I guess all that's left is to call someone, but sigh, I'm not very hopeful at this point. I think it's time to buy a different brand.

UPDATED SOLUTION: So I called and spoke with Samsung support. They remotely accessed my tv after I had given them the special remote access temp PIN number and they saw that my smart hub was an old version (1 point something, as opposed to version 2 point something), which was interesting to me, as I had gone back to "factory settings" beforehand and thought that Smart Hub had updated itself all the way up to the most current version (cause...well, I saw it with the "updating" box for a long time after reseting it to factory settings). Once the hub had been upgraded, the Netflix app also had to be updated to the most recent version. Pro tip: if the Netflix app on your smart hub isn't white with red lettering, you don't have the most updated version (mine had been red with white lettering).

I still don't know why my smart tv didn't actually automatically update everything since prior to this debacle I would get notices that something was updating before I could open an app, but I guess at this point everything is working so I shouldn't complain! I hope this post helps someone else out there.

GenericUser9999

Estimable
Jul 15, 2015
Hi everyone,

I also had the "NW-4-8" error code problem with Netflix on my Samsung UE55HU7500 4k TV and tried every solution I could find (changing DNS, resetting SmartHub, changing SmartHub locatio etc.) - nothing worked!

I then found this thread here where "username938485719" posted switching off "Samsung Instant On" solved the problem for him - and now it did so for me :) I switched it off, switched off the TV for a bit more than a minute (not sure whether it matters, it's just what I did), switched it back on and started Netflix - and it worked. Just before the app started it briefly displayed "Disconnecting AnyNet+ device". I'm not sure whether it has something to do with the problem but it might be telling for someone!

So in total:
* I deactivated "Auto Update" for Apps
* I reset SmartHub and re-loaded all Apps
* changed DNS to 8-8-8-8
* and finally switched off "Samsung Instant on"

I think only the last step really matters but just in case that each step solved part of the problem I mention them all!

Good luck for everyone who's still fighting with the problem and I hope this solution will work for you as well!!

jozeejo

Estimable
Jul 26, 2015
I have a Samsung 55" ultra hd. I had audio but lost the pic on Netflix, screen was a pixalated magenta.
Reset wireless router twice. Then realized it wasn't just netflix. Same problem on Amazon and hulu. Tried resetting dns server to 8888, reloading netflix, etc. Nothing worked. Then looked up how to reboot the tv. Found a video and followed directions on doing a factory reset. Worked like a charm. Don't remember all the steps but it was something like...with the tv off, on remote, hit mute, 182, power, options, factory reset; you do need regular remote, not phone or tablet.
Sorry, but couldn't find the same video or I would post the name... there are several different ones out there.

DMannnxx

Estimable
Jul 30, 2015
I just purchased a 75" Samsung UHD TV (model UN75JU6500) with this problem. Disabling the "Samsung Instant On" feature fixed the issue:

- Press "Menu"
- System > General > Samsung Instant On
- Set to "Off"

Turn TV off and back on.

TheKiltedKimchi

Estimable
Aug 5, 2015
I have the 55" curved (model UN55JU670DFXZA from Costco). I was on the phone with Costco Concierge Services who patched me through to Samsung customer service. It apparently is an issue with the firmware. Samsung is sending me out a usb thumb drive with the new firmware so I can update it directly from the usb port. I had tried to d/l the firmware on Samsung's website, but it wouldn't install. I will update this post once I install.

I too found that a factory reset would fix it. Also, doing a hard power off (unplugging the tv and holding down the power button on the remote for 30 seconds before plugging it back in) will get the picture back. Still won't fix Netflix though.

An interesting thing that I was able to replicate on my tv was that if I was viewing a 4k show on Netflix, it would immediately boot me out of Netflix back to the TV, but I would still get a picture. If I was viewing a HD show, it would play for about 10 seconds, then boot me out to the black screen.

HTH

dallashelp

Estimable
Aug 9, 2015
I had an issue with Netflix and Amazon Prime where both was not loading movies with my Samsung UN65H7150AF. Netflix would get stuck at 25% and Amazon Prime would just spin and both would say try again later. I went to Samsung website and found that a newer firmware was available to download.
1. I downloaded the new firmware from a Windows PC and put it on a USB memory stick (unzipped).
2. I plugged in my USB memory stick to my Samsung TV.
3. Updated the firmware. Go to the instructions provided by Samsung on how to do this.

Check the firmware version or software version is correct once you the TV is turned off and back on when the firmware update is complete. The reason for this is that for some odd reason the first time I did the firmware update and the TV power cycled off and on after it said that it was complete but the firmware version was the same when I checked. I had to do it for a 2nd time and it took a rather odd long time when it was at 100% complete. I thought it was stuck at the 100% complete screen but I kept the TV on for about 10 min just to make sure and it finally power cycled off and on.

Both of my Netflix and Amazon Prime are now working.

pogodancer

Estimable
Aug 14, 2015

I have tried all sorts of things. After a long chat with Netflix it seems my app software is out of date and unsupported at 3.102. It should be 4.0.2. on my TV UE46D7000. Next stage to call Samsung and try and get an upto date file.

*** UPDATE *** I HAVE DOWNLOADED THE FIRMWARE UPDATE FROM THE SAMSUNG WEBSITE FOR MY TV THAT WAS A LATER VERSION THAN THE ON FOUND BY SELECTING 'UPDATE ONLINE'. AFTER EXTRACTING THE FILE ONTO A USB STICK I UPGRADED THE TV AND NOW THE APP WORKS EVEN THOUGH IT IS THE 3.102 VERSION. IT ISN'T AS GOOD A VERSION AS THE ONE I'VE USED ELSEWHERE BUT ITS A START. NEXT TIME I HAVE CHANCE I SHALL TRY CHANGING COUNTRIES ETC TO FORCE AN APP UPDATE. Hope this helps someone!

David_69

Estimable
Sep 5, 2015
CathT's solution to Netflix not loading on Samsung worked for me, looks like the Auto On function keeps Netflix in RAM for quick load. Switching off Auto On must clear the memory cache.

Thank you CathT!

"Thanks Zarine, spent ages searching to find a solution and this worked in seconds for me :)

Open the TV menu
Go to SYSTEM and scroll down to GENERAL
Locate SAMSUNG INSTANT ON and make sure it is set to OFF
Turn off the TV and turn it back on
Open the Smart Hub and open Netflix

Rodrigo_02

Estimable
Sep 26, 2015

Salvou, Thanks!!!

OBS.: Mute + 1 + 8 + 2 + Power

Laura_3

Estimable
Sep 29, 2015
The below worked for me, too, after weeks of having the blank screen problem and not finding anything to help. Thank you! So simple!

LincolnN

Estimable
Oct 4, 2015
“We’re having trouble playing this title right now. Please try again later or select a different title”

Do you have a Samsung Smart TV?
Do you like to watch Netflix?
Are you seeing this message??
Is it driving you crazy??
Have you tried everything, including restarting your modem, TV, and even the Netflix application? Did you even try that weird suggestion to push the up and down arrows in a specific order (up, up, down, down, left, right…. etc)?

I tried all of that stuff too, and none of it worked. I have found a very simple solution that worked for me, and I hope it will work for you too. It took me about 60 seconds, and I didn’t have to unplug anything or re-enter any passwords etc.

I hate when people give advice without being very clear, so this may sound overly simple, and explicit, but here it is:
(In short, we are going to “turn-off” 3 things from the Samsung “system” section).

Turn on the TV.
Turn off Netflix (if you still have it on). Just have the TV set to any cable channel.
Press the “MENU” button on the Samsung remote control.
Scroll down to the “System” section, and click to the right.
Select “Smart Security” and then click on it - and turn it “OFF”.
Now scroll down to and select the “General” tab,
then scroll down and select “Samsung Instant On” - and turn it “OFF”.
Finally, scroll down to the line that says: “Anynet + (HDMI-CEC)” - and turn it “OFF”.

Now, press the menu button again (to exit the setup screen), and then turn off your TV and wait 15 seconds.
That’s it!
All you need to do now is turn your TV back on, press the Smart button and fire up Netflix. At least for me, everything works great, and I don’t get that annoying message anymore!

Good Luck!

Lincoln

PS: I really wish that I had only selected one of the 3 things that I turned off at a time, since I am sure that it is probably only one of them that actually solves the problem. Strangely, I have turned each of the 3 things back on, (one at a time), and the Netflix is still working? So you don’t need to leave those things off forever (I don’t know what they do anyway, but mine are back on now). If I start getting that weird message again, I will try the above, but using only one of the steps at a time, to see which one actually fixes the issue and let you all know, but for now, I’m just glad that it’s working!!

EdTechAna

Estimable
Oct 11, 2015
Hi all,
I am in the US. I know this is marked as solved. But if anyone has a UN40EH5300F model, this fix worked for me:
Follow the instructions on this link to change the country code to any country. I selected Canada:
http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/iframe/pop_troubleshooting_fr.jsp?idx=409289&modelname=UN40EH5300F&modelcode=UN40EH5300FXZA. Once the update finishes, change it back to the US and allow to re-update. This process will replace corrupted settings. You will need to re-login to the SmartHub apps again. Thanks :)

Amanda_6

Estimable
Oct 14, 2015

do you still answer these? i cant find this! i go into settings > system > general and my options are

game mode off
panel lock off
boot logo on

abotoni

Estimable
Nov 8, 2015
After 45 minutes with Samsung support and multiple different country switch back and forth .. We figured out the problem was with the DNS server number!! It was reset to 4.2.2.1 and it worked immediately. Both Amazon and Netflix apps were not working. after the DNS number change they both worked fine

zedd45

Estimable
Nov 9, 2015
You can also press and hold the "enter" (key in the middle of the arrow navigation on the large Samsung remote) to bring up a context menu (similar to right clicking). If you do this, you have an option to reinstall the app. I went through the steps for the UK reset and that worked. Samsung un55hu8550.

1. press smart hub button
2. click "featured" to go expand the list
3. click "Samsung Apps" to open the dashboard
4. navigate to "Netflix"
5. Press and hold enter (center) button
6. click "update apps" (should be 3rd option)
7. select netflix (checkbox should be clicked)
8. click "update apps"

You might have to roll this into the procedure above with the UK / Germany steps. It's a wild and twisted way to get it to work, and it's sad Samsung isn't working harder on fixing this

notoneecosystem

Estimable
Nov 9, 2015
Thank you, zedd45. You are a lifesaver! I tried all the other people's methods and none of them worked, but yours did the trick. You rock!

parienti

Estimable
Nov 10, 2015
Since october 2015 Netflix is available in Italy too. Samsung service is saying D6000 series (2011) smart tvs can not run Netflix app. Do you know wether D6000 series can get Netflix app working in any countries? And how they get to be set? Thanx guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.