Sarah Palin Email Hacker Gets Jail Time

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

edenrow

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
It is easier to steal real mail so I guess according to everyone that says it was so easy it wasn't a crime you might as well steal real mail. Just walk up and take it. No security question or password to deal with. Whether or not it was hacking I really don't care but it is a crime.

I might be wrong though because if its easy enough apparently its not a crime.

FTW the idiots that exist.

CoryInJapan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
[citation][nom]Gigahertz20[/nom]Hardly "hacking", anybody could have exploited the forgotten password feature with the use of Google and some background knowledge of Palin. The punishment is way to strict in my opinion, he should have just received some community service or something.[/citation]
yup thats what I was thining..I bet if he dd that to me or you ..ALmost nothing ..or nothing would have happened...No justice..No peace in this country anymore..freedom is no more then an illussion now..just about....God Save our country .

smithereen

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
Just because Palin is a stupid asshole doesn't mean it's OK to break the law. Opening someone else' mail is a crime, and disseminating sensitive information is a crime, so posting the contents of an email address used for personal and government communication on the Internet is sure as hell a crime, no matter how easy it is.Was shooting Gabrielle Giffords OK because the shooter disagreed with her politics and she had little to no security? Absafuckinlutely not.

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Man alive I am glad you guys don't make decisions that affect me. So far I have read that it is OK to hack a yahoo email because they were designed to be hacked. Also, it was mostly a personal e-mail account.

I can't believe some of you are suggesting that because it was easy to get in to her email it isn't serious. Wow it's easy to steal real mail, or hell walk into a crowd and shoot people so I guess those aren't crimes either.

Political information is not something that should always be free because it's a democracy. Nowhere in the constitution does it say "political information should be available to all". Sunshine laws do not always mean the public has access to all emails or documents of political figures.

Also, since most of y'all don't read let me give some quotes about what this "hacker" has said:
"nothing incriminating, nothing that would derail her campaign as I had hoped. All I saw was personal stuff, some clerical stuff from when she was governor…. And pictures of her family."

and my favorite:

"...so I posted the pass on /b/, and then promptly deleted everything, and unplugged my internet and just sat there in a comatose state"

So not only did he break in, but he gave out the password to 4chan... Also check this out:
"...I really wanted to get something incriminating which I was sure there would be"

So this guy was actively trying to spread incriminating information on a political candidate...nice.

I am also tired of all the yahoos that are suggesting that the only reason this guy got caught was because of her status. Well, yes there is some truth to that. I would hope that Governors, Representatives, and Senators get increased attention/protection. But if this guy did it to you, he would have been caught as well - it may have taken a bit longer since it would not be as important, but he would have been caught.

Finally, I should note that I personally do not like Palin.

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Making threats against someone's safety or life on the internet, is against the law and defined as "cyber-bullying".

Wow I am also getting tired of the people who think they are experts on law. I hope you are being sarcastic Sykozis.

There is no federal cyber-bullying laws. Very few states have them as well. Most of them deal with harassment and stalking. Also, there is a legal definition in threatening someone. For something to be a threat, it must meet guidelines that the threat is unequivocal, unconditional, immediate, and specific to the person threatened.

itpro

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
As I recall, there was very little official data in the "hacked" info that was released. He did however release personal emails, pictures and even phone numbers of Palin's children. If he was after her account for official reasons, there are procedures under the FOIA, but he chose to hack the account instead. In other words, he broke the law, and deserves to be punished to the fullest extent.

Many of you posting here seem to be of the mind that if you agree with someone's political agenda then anything they do is justified, and if you disagree with someone's political views then anything you do against them is OK. That point of view is what is tearing this country apart. We have always had differences of opinion, but in the past we could recognize that diversity of opinions was a strength. Now, everyone seems to think that only their opinion is valid and anyone who believes differently is a moron. Hold onto your moral superiority, but remember who is responsible when our society collapses.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
millions of people a year get their email "hacked" where is the justice for those people.

This is another case of the government teaching the people are not equal.
Rich people deserve protection and justice, us peasants deserve to be raped and pillaged.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]Gigahertz20[/nom]Hardly "hacking", anybody could have exploited the forgotten password feature with the use of Google and some background knowledge of Palin. The punishment is way to strict in my opinion, he should have just received some community service or something.[/citation]
the sensitivity of the government information he illegal obtained and then devulged to the world is probably what the judge based his recommendation on. had he did this to any office holder involving information regarding the security of the united states alot worse would have been recommended, congressmans son or not. he broke over 5 laws that stipulate minimum sentences of 10, 5 and 2 years each as well as fines that total over 50k.

[citation][nom]Razor512[/nom]millions of people a year get their email "hacked" where is the justice for those people.This is another case of the government teaching the people are not equal.Rich people deserve protection and justice, us peasants deserve to be raped and pillaged.[/citation]
+1

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]chickenhoagie[/nom]this is stupid. as the guy above said, anyone can exploit the system to find out a person's password like that. this is haaaardly "hacking" at all. As I always say, the term hacking is tossed around way too easily these days and constitutes as the stupidest things. This was not hacking. case closed. maybe she should have set better recovery questions. her fault.[/citation]
she shouldn't have been using yahoo period. it's the equivelent of being an aol user. the government has their own email system for conducting business.

itchyisvegeta

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Normally I look at this as someone who breaks into a person's home. But the last guy to break into my home, last June, keeps getting out of jail. He has been there 4 times cause they keep letting him out! Should have shot him when I had the chance!

So I am gonna look at this another way. If this person were to raid Palin's mailbox every day for a given amount of time, to see the equivelent amount of letters, what would his sentence be?

That is what he should get for the email hacking. Heck, maybe it is more, and this guy is getting a break. I don't know......

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
millions of people a year get their email "hacked" where is the justice for those people.

Those same millions don't do anything about it; they rarely report it. Also, you clearly have missed the story. If he had just hacked her e-mail, viewed everything, and then left it alone, then he wouldn't have been caught. However, he was a moron about it and posted the password and some of the contents on 4chan. The posting the info out in public was his demise. Also, another reason this guy got caught so quickly was that he was so bad at it. He hardly hid (one simple proxy that logged his ip address) and then admitted it to the world (e.g. talked about it on 4chan). Another reason he got pwned is that he attempted to delete everything he did (which is obstruction of justice) - another thing he admitted to on 4chan.

Most of y'all seemed to be under the impression that he was convicted of a felony for this. He was but not like you think. He was only convicted of a misdemeanor for accessing her e-mail. The felony, and thus the year+1 day sentence, came from him trying to cover his tracks and delete everything.

Wikipedia has a good account of how dumb and how easy it was to find this guy.

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
she shouldn't have been using yahoo period. it's the equivelent of being an aol user. the government has their own email system for conducting business.

It was hardly a government e-mail. As even the hacker said, it was all personal information with a few Governor scheduling stuff. Most of it was personal pictures and e-mails to family and friends.

Again, another reason he got such "tough" treatment was his admission that he was maliciously trying to get information to derail her campaign or embarrass her.

tomc100

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Reading the comments on here reminds of how Obama, a man with nothing on his resume, can be elected to the highest position in the world. Some of you people are hopelessly stupid.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Considering how desperately the Bush administration tried to keep their emails deleted after they were subpoenaed, it shouldn't be surprising that she wanted to keep "official" business kept away from government servers where it was more likely to be found.

I hope nobody thinks those marketing-material harvesting free mailservers are in any way secure. While the spiders are crawling your email for keywords, all that data's going somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.