Sarah Palin Email Hacker Gets Jail Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigahertz20

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Hardly "hacking", anybody could have exploited the forgotten password feature with the use of Google and some background knowledge of Palin. The punishment is way to strict in my opinion, he should have just received some community service or something.

G

This is nothing more than another case of the government telling the world that they can stomp all over the little guy and get away with it.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
this is stupid. as the guy above said, anyone can exploit the system to find out a person's password like that. this is haaaardly "hacking" at all. As I always say, the term hacking is tossed around way too easily these days and constitutes as the stupidest things. This was not hacking. case closed. maybe she should have set better recovery questions. her fault.

zoridon

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
Do you realize opening up someone elses mail is a felony? He got exactly what he deserved. Just because its digital and not paper does not make it any less a crime. He should get beat as well for being such an punk. Anyone can walk up to anyone elses physical mailbox and take the mail as well, so chickenhaogie get some perspective. Open up my mailbox and take what is mine or read it and I wont be to blame when your found in the hudson river.

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Yet another perfect example of people who haven't the slightest clue about technology yet use them to work on very sensitive data, and of course are afraid of "hackers" because they think hacking is magical (like the ipad) and people who use magic should be burned on a stick.

I say sue palin for being such a dumbass with these security questions. Dumbass.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]zoridon[/nom]Do you realize opening up someone elses mail is a felony? He got exactly what he deserved. Just because its digital and not paper does not make it any less a crime. He should get beat as well for being such an punk. Anyone can walk up to anyone elses physical mailbox and take the mail as well, so chickenhaogie get some perspective. Open up my mailbox and take what is mine or read it and I wont be to blame when your found in the hudson river.[/citation]

while I believe you are correct I also believe you're wrong. Most free e-mail clients like Hotmail Gmail Yahoo all have in common is that they're free for everyone to use, easily "hacked" into, and in no way secure enough that it should ever be used for any type of official business. While I do believe he should be punished for what he did, I think community service would've been more than enough. If this was anyone else but her e-mail at any other time before she was nominated for vice president, this would have been just community service.

I honestly believe he got way too much of a punishment I also believe that anyone in politics should have a crash course in what the fuck technology is and what you should and shouldn't do with it, such as have any official business go through an official e-mail address not some Yahoo shit. If anything this is the wake-up call to politicians, that unofficial e-mail addresses are easily compromised regardless of how secure you believe they may be.

G

man that is rough. i have visited that prison and they made my grandma take off her bra because it had metal in it.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Rather unfair I'd say. No personal data was lost, only official political communication - something that should be free in a democracy anyway.

While the hacker committed a crime, the punishment is way out of line. Why do so many judges think pretty much every minor offence warrants jail time? A person wastes years of his life, all at the expense of public money. Just let him do something actually useful, like community service.

Wisecracker

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
[citation][nom]zoridon[/nom]Do you realize opening up someone elses mail is a felony? He got exactly what he deserved. Just because its digital and not paper does not make it any less a crime. He should get beat as well for being such an punk. Anyone can walk up to anyone elses physical mailbox and take the mail as well, so chickenhaogie get some perspective. Open up my mailbox and take what is mine or read it and I wont be to blame when your found in the hudson river.[/citation]

Psssst ...

*** Palin had been using the email address, sarah.gov@yahoo.com, to conduct some government business ***

1) 'Sunshine" laws require those emails to be in the public domain; and
2) By maintaining a private email account for gub'mint bidness, Palin herself was violating the law.

Ooops for you and your lame defense. And btw, you also communicated a threat.

(edit: I also forgot that pesky silly things like 'laws' don't apply to the anti-gub'mint Cons in the USA. My bad.)

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
I don't care if it's a woman or a man who runs the politics, but I do dislike people like her.

Actually, I think I dislike rednecks in general. I moved from a rural area to a city for a reason, but could you please stay behind?

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
And yet one has to wonder, why does he have to go to jail for doing something incredibly stupid, yet Sarah Palin herself doesn't, while doing incredibly stupid things all the time?

Sarah Palin is Political Satire - NOT TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY

chick0n

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010

I bet if he "opened" your email Account he don't need to go to jail.

Cuz he opened Sarah Palin's account, and guess most of the judge joined which party ? let me give u a hint, starting with a R

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
reading the comments, it seems to me that some people think punishment should be given according to how hard it is to commit a crime, not on how serious that crime is.

This is stupid. You can also say anyone can pick a rock and hit a man in the head, but that doesn't mean that the crime shouldn't be punished.

The right to privacy is something that all people cry for, and even if the US gov. is slowly, but surely, erasing that right, for now the law still dictates the one should have it.

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
So by the consensus we seem to have reached here, ones opinion of the victim has bearing to the severity of the punishment of the person found guilty.

I have observed that Karma works and look forward to the many entertaining hours of Worlds Dumbest ... that you gentlemen promise.

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
@vm90andy - you are 100% correct. If I leave my door unlocked, it may be a bad idea but it is not permission for someone to come in and steal things. Anyone who does so has committed a crime and is subject to jail time.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
[citation][nom]Gigahertz20[/nom]Hardly "hacking", anybody could have exploited the forgotten password feature with the use of Google and some background knowledge of Palin. The punishment is way to strict in my opinion, he should have just received some community service or something.[/citation]
that would have done if it was a regular person. But the content leaked was 'government data'; which I think is still Sarah's fault. She should not have used yahoo for government data, but instead a government email server; as well as not use obvious questions like 'what's my husband's (or dog's) name' etc...

The guy should indeed have been given community service hours, but you know how cranky US gov is!
It's a Fidel Castro of it's own!
If it wasn't for other countries, they'd go to war to grab the wikileaks founder,and jail him.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

Making threats against someone's safety or life on the internet, is against the law and defined as "cyber-bullying".

[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]Rather unfair I'd say. No personal data was lost, only official political communication - something that should be free in a democracy anyway.While the hacker committed a crime, the punishment is way out of line. Why do so many judges think pretty much every minor offence warrants jail time? A person wastes years of his life, all at the expense of public money. Just let him do something actually useful, like community service.[/citation]

The judge didn't make the decision for Kernell to serve time in prison. The judge recommended what essentially amounts to 24hr supervisory probation (half-way house). The decision for his sentence to be served in prison was made by the Bureau of Prisons, against the judge's recommendation. Read the article...it's very clearly stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.