SATELLITE P25W-C2300-4K: Touchpad "sticks", freezes, refuses to respond

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkteddy77

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
While I'm just trying to scroll or move my pointer using the trackpad, my cursor will freeze, disappear, or do some operating it wasn't suppossed to "right-click, zoom, etc)
It's not being disabled at all, because when it freezes, The pad is still recognized as operational and not disabled.
There are no mouse drivers in my Device Manager other than the default HID device, and I cannot find any trackpad drivers on Toshiba's support page either:
http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=1200010881

What should I do about this? Scannow and checksystemhealth haven't done anything for me either, and I even tried installing a synaptic driver manually from synaptics site, but the operation of my mouse trackpad still hasn't improved.

Very very confused, please help

Solution
I've got the EXACT same problem with my Radius 12 also and after reading the Toshiba site and doing some digging of my own I've come to the conclusion that it's a bad GROUNDING problem with the trackpad, If you can return it to Toshiba then they'll fix it for you but if not (like me who brought it overseas) then you need to open up the machine and either solder on a wire to the motherboards grounding spot/chassis or use some other method to ground the back of the trackpad.

http://www.zachpoff.com/diy-resources/acer-laptop-touchpad-fix/

I've found lots of Acer,Asus and Apple machines with this issue and it's all related to grounding.

himynameisraz

Estimable
Jan 15, 2016
Have you tried cleaning it? Sometimes if you get grease or some type of liquid dropped on it, it will take a while for it to start working properly again...this happens to me every time when I clean my laptop with chlorox wipes but it eventually goes away once it dries up.

jkteddy77

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013

It's improved. Seems eraser shavings may have been lodged around the edges of the trackpad...
New problem is their stuck underneath it now, and the trackpad has "crunchy" clicks now... they really should have sealed the trackpad, but I only expect so much build quality from Toshiba, even from their highest model I guess

himynameisraz

Estimable
Jan 15, 2016
If it's bothering you a lot you can always open up the laptop case and remove the shavings that way. I'm currently on my old toshiba satellite while I'm working on my new laptop and from what I remember toshiba's are easy to open up and access.

jkteddy77

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013

Yeah, thought about it, but am a little scared since this model is 12.5 inches, has a 4k screen, and everything in it is extremely compacted. Getting below everything to the rear of the trackpad cannot be an easy procedure.

jkteddy77

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
Update...
It's still sticking, even witth a cleaned trackpad.
This no longer feels like a physical problem. It freezes no matter what region of the touchpad I am touching, and also stops me from clicking by tapping, or physical button pressing.
This very much feels like some odd software/driver glitch, and have no idea what it is stemming from.

I don't see any updated Toshiba trackpad drivers for my model, and I am assuming there are non here:
http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=1200010881&src=MAKX&cm_mmc=Affiliatesr-_-Linkshare&siteID=je6NUbpObpQ-1v9ZJB3YnzBlxi4eCv4aNw

It just periodically freezes... I've run many scannow and registry scans, anti-virus/malware scans, and don't see any suspicious programs installed to my computer. Am very very annoyed by this issue, but do not have to time or wish to do a complete reset. Reinstalling Windows would just be too cumbersome.
Can anyone else help?

himynameisraz

Estimable
Jan 15, 2016
The last thing I would suggest is uninstalling the mouse driver, and reinstalling it. If this doesn't work, try hooking up an external mouse and see if that works properly. At least this will help narrow down the problem. That's all i can think of. Maybe someone else has better ideas.

edit: sorry realized you said you can't find mouse drivers. Just try an external mouse and see if it works properly. Or go to http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops/satellite/radius-12/P25W-C2300-4K and click on chat and ask customer support.

jkteddy77

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013

Hmm, yeah, odd part is that I have an HID Microsoft driver, but no specific Toshiba or synaptics touchpad driver, and I certainly cannot find one online either, wonder if the PC is actually just using the HID mouse to instruct the touchpad as well. Very confusing for me, I don't know how to check if there is indeed an independent trackpad driver for sure.

I will try an external mouse and see if the same issue happens, it usually happens after the PC has been used for a little while, even though there is no startling jump in CPU or RAM usage, and there are no events in the event viewer of any odd warnings.

I also just update my BIOS, thinking maybe Microsoft's latest mouse driver was conflicting with my computer before. Too early to tell.

StudmuffinRod

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016

I have the same problem. I just bought the laptop and spent hours trying to update windows 10 and researching the internet for an updated driver. no luck and mine is being returned.

ickyboo

Commendable
Apr 10, 2016
I've got the EXACT same problem with my Radius 12 also and after reading the Toshiba site and doing some digging of my own I've come to the conclusion that it's a bad GROUNDING problem with the trackpad, If you can return it to Toshiba then they'll fix it for you but if not (like me who brought it overseas) then you need to open up the machine and either solder on a wire to the motherboards grounding spot/chassis or use some other method to ground the back of the trackpad.

http://www.zachpoff.com/diy-resources/acer-laptop-touchpad-fix/

I've found lots of Acer,Asus and Apple machines with this issue and it's all related to grounding.

Solution

jkteddy77

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
Update, sorry for being gone so long.

Basically sent mine in for repair through Best Buy. Waited a full Month. Got a message back saying Toshiba "didn't have the parts to fix it" and that I could just pull a new laptop off the shelf... It wasn't even Best Buy's fault, it was Toshiba responsible for that delay.

So here I am, checking out other models. None are like this compact convertible 4k beauty with plenty of space and top i7 in it.
I use the Radius 12 in Best buy's demo... and get this... within the 30 seconds that I'm playing with it...
ITS TRACKPAD STICKS TOO. THE FLOOR MODEL IS EVEN DEFECTIVE!

So stupidly, even after that sign, I took it as coincidence, chose another Radius 12 (Yogapad was the only other option for me, just not as great tho to me)
This time I got the warranty. Another red flag is that they only let me get 1 year on warranty. hmm.

No coincidence either, Toshiba went bankrupt two weeks later. Toshiba is now no longer manufacturing more consumer laptops.
Guess that explains everything now. They've just abandoned this product. I bet every single one's trackpad is a ticking bomb waiting to break.

Two weeks into ownership, it starts sticking... then freezing... and is now nearly completely unusable one month in.
24/7 external mouse it is from now on.

I suggest anyone with this problem do the same if you have purchased a warranty, or if you're under factory warranty only, approach Best Buy about the issue, but speak about how commonly this happens, ask if they can contact Toshiba about the issue directly, and ask if you can get in-store credit for it instead. Otherwise you may be stuck in a one month limbo like they left me in.

I for one plan on turning it in for defects close to the end of my warranty, when some better laptop models are available through Best Buy.
I wish they would carry the Razer Blade Pro, that's the only fitting replacement I'm considering.
Sucks, besides the cheap construction (which I can live with for the price), this laptop is perfect.

Amrullah

Commendable
May 8, 2016
Thankyou jkteddy77 for responding.

Mine is being repaired. Almost 2 weeks, I am pessimistic they can fix it. This laptop is perfect, but I can't stand with the touchpad. I might try ickyboo suggestion although it'll void the warranty as a last resort.

jkteddy77

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013

As I expected... Go back, let them know it's still busted, and request that you just get in-store credit for it and choose a different laptop.

jkteddy77

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013

As I expected... Go back, let them know it's still busted, and request that you just get in-store credit for it and choose a different laptop.

jkteddy77

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013

Alright, thanks. Pretty handy looking solution, keep us updated if it works for good.

Status
Not open for further replies.