School Took Thousands of Private Pics of Students

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

1st duke of marlborough

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
I really hope they don't bleed that school dry. Fire the employees involved, jail them, uninstall all the software they used to take the pics, but for Christ's sake don't shift the burden onto the public by shoving a bill at the school! That's the danger behind these kinds of cases--that the ones suing end up fucking everyone else over, even the ones that didn't do anything wrong (in this case the tax base of that entire district).

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]There are a multitude of reasons why but these reasons are obviously well beyond your level of comprehension if you think the 5th amendment is only used for guilty parties.[/citation]

Since one can only plead the 5th when on trial and not to a police officer at all (that would be your first right under Miranda law, the right to remain silent.)

But thanks for playing :)

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
[citation][nom]rdawise[/nom] Now think about saying something stupid in front of a grand jury or policeman without a lawyer. That's instant "guilty" right there.[/citation]

Well the policeman will kindly remind you of your right to remain silent, during your arrest or you will instantly get off on a technicality. :) As for any jury, hopefully in the months of time you have had before your trial you will have had some sort of preparation from you defense attorney to prevent "sounding like an idiot"

To quote here "The fifth amendment protects witnesses from being forced to incriminate themselves. To "plead the Fifth" is to refuse to answer a question because the response could provide self-incriminating evidence of an illegal conduct punished by fines, penalties or forfeiture."

Short version, if you plead the 5th its pretty much saying "yeah I did it, but I don't have to give you the details. your going to have to prove I did it."

The 5th is easy to understand I don't see how so many students graduate school with out studying it in American History Class...

So many amateur lawyers on here.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
LOL the laptop damage after this one will be HUGE pr need to get lots and lots of new laptops. i wuld haw put a hammer in the laptops wecam if this wuld haw happend to me.
oh yeah my scool got webcams on all the laptops from HP so its not a hard thing to do

princeofdreams

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
[citation][nom]babybeluga[/nom]I don't have a clue as to what you're actually saying.[/citation]

It is fairly obvious what he is saying, your privacy is being continually eroded, whether by institutions such as this school or by government, they all say it is in the name of security, whether against theft as in this case, or against terrorism with the government, they say they need to continually monitor you for your "own protection" and if you disagree make you feel like you have something to hide, its a constitutional change that has gone through without ever being approved, there is a presumption of guilt, an onus to prove your innocence rather than a due legal process to prove that someone is guilty first.

No one government is responsible, it has been crept in by successive government's, there in the USA and in other so called western democracies, it is back door fascism, think about it, all your internet usage is monitored, all your calls are logged, people can be taken away and held without any due process in the name of anti terrorism, torture is sanctioned at government level, yeah it is all dressed up nice "we are the free world, protecting everyone's rights" funny how they have to take away those rights in order to protect them....

babybeluga

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Who's rules is correct.The use of the punctuation is not truncation, it is plural in the case of possessive, "The rules of who".To remove the punctuation "whos" would be a clumsy attempt at pluralisation and its usage in this sentence would be nonsense.[/citation]

Whose?

martin0642

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
As wrong as this violation is, a 1 cent piece of tape and a marker would have avoided it. That being said - people should not have to do that for fear of being peeped by their school district.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]They sure don't. Looks like you don't have to worry about the pedosquad listening in to your IM's. Booya.[/citation]

Assuming that they can't just take screen shots.

G

What the hell is going on with this world!!!! If they had pics of my son or daughter they would not have to worrie about a lawyer! They would have to worrie about ME!!!!!

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Well, it's good we're monitoring these kids, otherwise they might be terrorists and we'd never know it! I mean, we're OK with your local, trusted, low-wage government employee using naked scanners on us to make sure we're not gonna blow up planes so how is this any different? I mean, these kids could be planning to shoot up the school, and we need to continue this monitoring to make sure YOUR kid stays safe!

Oh, and /end sarcasm

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
If I recall correctly, the school itself started all this when it notified the student that they had evidence via the camera of him being naughty; popping pills was the accusation I believe. Anyhow, did it go down like this?

Carol Cafiero: "Hey boss, I have evidence that a student here is taking drugs!"

School administrator: "Wow, we can't have that! Good job, Carol. Where did you get this evidence."

Carol Cafiero: "Well, I was up late last night, watching kids through their webcams built into their school issued laptops. I was taking random screen shots when I came across one student that appeared to be taking drugs."

School Administrator: "Terrific, it is good that you took the initiative! We will send out a letter to the little crack head's parents...we will see justice carried out!"

skiprofmtu

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Well the policeman will kindly remind you of your right to remain silent, during your arrest or you will instantly get off on a technicality.
This is false. The police only have to give you your Miranda rights before they question you. Miranda is designed to protect against police coercion and undue influence, not statements blurted out during arrest.

crazazyasian1337

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
[citation][nom]kingnoobe[/nom]Crazazy how about read up a tad more on it. The parents had talked to the school about not being able to pay the full, and they said it was fine. Of course that is coming from the parents.But even if they didn't the school simply had to ask blake to turn it in, and at the end of the day they could've got the laptop back without turning the camera on rather easily. Only if blake refused to give it back would this be even close to acceptable.The emails also prove this was an act of stupidity, and for me anyways takes away any creditability the school may have had.[/citation]

Hey kingnoobe, how bout you go to the school and get first hand experience about the situation before instead of believing everything you read on the internet. stop making things up to fuel this shit storm.

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]elcentral[/nom]LOL the laptop damage after this one will be HUGE pr need to get lots and lots of new laptops. i wuld haw put a hammer in the laptops wecam if this wuld haw happend to me. oh yeah my scool got webcams on all the laptops from HP so its not a hard thing to do[/citation]
I seriously doubt you have ever been to school.

[citation][nom]crazazyasian1337[/nom]Hey kingnoobe, how bout you go to the school and get first hand experience about the situation before instead of believing everything you read on the internet. stop making things up to fuel this shit storm.[/citation]10,000 photos taken of students in their own homes, some of them half-dressed, and an admin that refers to this as her own little soap opera. Do we really need first hand experience at the school to conclude these students have been violated?

babybeluga

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
For a tech site (which I would assume would attract an intelligent crowd), most of you people can't write a well formed sentence to save your life. Stop commenting on topic that has to deal with schools because wherever you received your education, it is badly in need of reform.

Status
Not open for further replies.