pcman312

Estimable
Dec 11, 2014
Is there something out there that plugs into an SD card slot, but allows you to connect a non-SD card to it? Something like this or similar:

Camera -> SD Card adapter -> external hard drive

I'm envisioning something like an SD card to USB adapter, but I can't find anything even similar to that out there.

USAFRet

Illustrious
I do not believe so. The camera software has no idea of what to do with an external drive.

Why do you need a whole external hard drive? SD cards are plenty big nowadays. And some camera can be tethered directly via USB to a PC or laptop.
Lastly, there are WiFi enabled SD cards, that transmit the pics to a PC or tablet almost as soon as they are taken.

pcman312

Estimable
Dec 11, 2014
The SD card is a storage device. An external hard drive is a storage device. I don't see why a camera wouldn't be able to send writes to the SD card slot and have it show up in the external hard drive.

As for my specific use case, the camera that I am using does not have a USB port, it only has the SD card. This would be for a long term project in which I won't be able to remove/replace the SD card every few hours (or days).

I will look into the WiFi enabled SD cards to see if it solves my problem.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Different formatting, and the camera can't do the USB back and forth data required.

As for the WiFi cards...EyeFi. I have them and use them daily. The card in my main camera has pushed about 20,000 files through it in the last couple of years.

What camera are you using?

A punch card is also a storage device. Doesn't mean the formats are in the least bit compatible.

You can get 64GB or larger SDs - good luck filling them up.

Though not a well known, or probably used, there is also the PQI Air Wifi SD card. Less expensive than the Eye-Fi but it uses a Micro SD card for storage which is inserted in the SD WiFi adapter. Between the two though the Eye-Fi card is probably compatible with more devices than the PQI card.